Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Drive train noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Drive train noise

Ok, so I have some funky noise coming from some part of what I believe is the drive train on my 95 cherokee 4wd manual 5speed. The only way to describe it is that it sounds like metal rubbing on metal like a grating or grinding sound. It also sounds pretty similar to road noise but much louder and definitely not just road noise. The noise sounds as though it is coming from behind the driver seat but pretty hard to pin point the actual local. When I make right turns and put all the pressure on the left side of the vehicle the noise is remarkably worse but when making left turns and putting the pressure on the jeeps right side the noise practically goes away. You can still hear the noise when going straight and it is more pronounced when letting off the accelerator than when really getting on it. The noise is also much less pronounced when you take it out of gear when going straight, but is still noticeable when your out of gear and make a right turn. In general the sound is most noticeable when going between 30 and 50mph.

Here is what I have done to try and make the noise go away to no avail. New rear left outer wheel bearing and seal. New rear diff fluid, new u-joints on both the front and rear drive shafts (5 total), new front diff fluid, and new transfer case fluid. Also checked the tranny fluid and it was good. The diff gears looked brand new front and back with no pitting or chipping of any kind.

Everything I have heard of u-joints makes me think it must be a bad u-joint but the only ones left to replace are the ones on the front axles and I'm not so sure the noise originates there. Other than the noise the jeep drives great with no bad tendencies at all.

I'm begging for any suggestions anyone may have cause I'm running out of patience and dont want to take her to a shop.

Please help
Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO I-6

Hey I'm getting what sounds to be the same noise. Did you figure it out? Before I start replacing stuff that doesn't need replaced.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:36 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L Renix and tube header

If I were you, I would pick up a rear driveshaft with u-joints from the local wrecking yard. You should be able to pick one up fairly cheap, and it's a piece a cake to remove and install. I'm actually having the same issue, but only in 4wd. So I'm gonna start by replacing the front drive shaft and U-joints, which I got for $30. Good luck!!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L i6

check the exhaust near the cross member to be sure its not rubbing.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:39 PM

Fixed the exhaust already. ?
It goes away then comes back. Seems when it's cold right when I leave in the morning you can hear it loud. Almost sounds like brakes are dragging but applying the brakes doesn't change the sound. But then seems to go away at higher speeds. U joints are cheap so I'll prob just replace those first. Dunno if or when the previous owed replaced them. So I will do that then go from there.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:53 PM

Took the drums off in the back to find the pass side only has one pad and the drivers side had a broken spring which was all ground down shiny so I'm guessing that's what my grinding was. Find out today when I leave work.