Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Drive train noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Drive train noise

Hi there,

I have a 2000 XJ 4.0 auto which has 78000 miles on the clock. My jeep has a Dana 35 rear diff, a 242 transfer box and solid prop shaft, without a slip joint.

I have a couple of noises coming from the transmission/ rear end, but I am unable to confirm which. There is a general bearing rumble once the car has done a few miles and everything warms up. Also when the car comes to a complete stop after it has been at speed for some time, there is a loud clunk clunk cluck, when it pulls away again.

I have been under the car with the rear wheels off the ground and there is no play in the u joints. There is a bit of slop in the output shaft from the transfer case but it doesn't seem excessive. The rear axle and wheels turn freely with a small amount of backlash.

The noises do appear to be coming from either the diff of the transfer box but I am at a loss which one is the likely culprit and where to start.

Does anyone have any experience of similar occurrences, or thoughts on what the likely cause is?

Many thanks