Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Drive Shaft Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Drive Shaft Issues

Why does the cherokees front ds have a zerk on it? Mine has been blowing grease (not the zerk but the odd piece that splits the DS into two) everywhere and wobbles like hell. I gotta remove it but all the places ive called told me I need a new DS?? wtf? I swear it only looks like I need a new gasket or something. Ok look I do not want to sound retarded here but I need to remove the front ds... I can drive all I want as long as Im in 2WD right?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

that part that makes it slide in and out is called the slip joint. there is a zerk fitting on it so you can grease it so it doesn't dry out and go bad on you. based on the description you just gave, yours is bad. and yes, you do need a new ds because it is easier to go to a JY and buy one than getting the whole thing rebuilt with a new slip joint. just remember to keep it greased, they put zerk fittings on things for a reason, thats my theory about it at least.

and yes, you can remove the front ds and drive around with no problems, just don't try and put it in 4hi
Old 01-30-2010, 12:41 PM

I have a 98 country and front shaft keeps spinning while she is in 2 wd...is this normal?
Old 01-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 5.9

Its normal as long as the jeep is moving.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

yeah it is
Old 01-31-2010, 01:29 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

alright I talked to a few people @ a driveline shop and they pulled the front DS apart so I could see the splines. Anyway theres a bit of rubbed off metal and they told me I should get a new one. I had the angry sparrow syndrome so I new I had to replace the double cardan and I need to replace all my U joints front and back....does anybody know if its worth it to rebuild the joints or buy a new shaft altogether? Im looking to buy time as im a 19 yr old college kid who dont have $$(which means no front ds for awhile) MAstershakeXJ....I over exaggerated the wobble but I know eventually it will strip out and vibrate (its got 130,000 on it)
Old 01-31-2010, 05:43 PM
CF Veteran

if the slip joint is still good you can salvage the ds, if it isn't, i'd start looking around for another one. i pieced together some stuff to make a working ds a couple weeks back because the seals in centering ball had gone bad. i was going to order this; http://www.rockforddriveline.com/1310pg4.htm (#1355) for about $40, but found someone who sold me a double cardan off his TJ and just took it apart for the centering ball assembly.

most JY's will have some front shafts lying around, and sometimes you can haggle with them to get one for ~50$, but then you might have to replace ujoints on that (~10$ a joint depending on what you get) so it's kind of up in the air as to what you want to do with that.

i can understand your dilemma, being a college student myself and not really having an income. i did this over the course of a week or so and finally got the shaft rebuilt and back in the jeep. had never really changed ujoints myself before this but it was pretty easy if you've seen in done enough times on other people ds's, let me know if you have any other questions.