Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Doors won't lock after removing side panels

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Doors won't lock after removing side panels

I've got a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport and I was trying to do some work on the drivers side speaker tonight. After I got done and put everything back on, I noticed that the door I took the panel off won't work anymore (both manually and electrically). All the power stuff works fine on the door too (windows work fine and the lock button makes the noise when pressed but doesn't lock the door). I did notice that the manual lock on the inside of the door is somewhat jammed and won't move so I'm thinking I did something wrong when I put the door back on. After I realized that I took the door off again and tried putting it back on but I get the same issue where the manual lock inside is jammed and I can't lock it any other way. I never unhooked any of the bars that go to the door either so I'm really confused as to why I've got this problem. If anyone has any ideas or solutions, it'd greatly be appreciated.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

may have bent the lock bars, that's my bet, especially if they wernt removed.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 PM

That definitely sounds like it could be the issue. I'm going to try bending them back into position and hopefully that'll fix the issue. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:51 AM
::Regional Moderator::

Year: 1998
Engine: I6

Thanks for bringing this up, as the same thing happened on mine when I replaced the speakers.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:58 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: V6 4.0

same thing happened to me when i replaced my speakers, if the arm locks are not bent then mess around with them until theyre in the correct place. When i screwed mine up they would make the sound as if they were locking but immediately after tht sound it would sound like they had unlocked themselves. make sure you put BOTH arm locks in place perfectly because my passenger door was supposed to be fixed but from time to time it unlocked itself while i was away from my jeep.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:27 PM

Year: '99

What was the solution, I just changed door speakers yesterday and my driver side lock wont work now,was perfect before?

Originally Posted by bjr1990
That definitely sounds like it could be the issue. I'm going to try bending them back into position and hopefully that'll fix the issue. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

same thing here after changing the speaker in my passenger front door. Definitely sounds like a bent lock bar. Either bend it back or go to the JY and get a "new" one. COuld be both bars, but it's most likely just one.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:46 AM

Lots of MI. members on this forum. Where the pic in your sig.Keweenaw Pen?

Originally Posted by storm101
may have bent the lock bars, that's my bet, especially if they wernt removed.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by RR 1982
What was the solution, I just changed door speakers yesterday and my driver side lock wont work now,was perfect before?
You just have to bend the bars back into place with trial and error. HOWEVER, be VERY careful what you're doing and that you don't break off one of the bars like I did on one of my doors (it was a pretty stupid move on my part).

I got my driver side door back on working and then got frustrated and went too far with the passenger side door and broke the bar off and had to get it fixed. I was driving around with an unlocked passenger door for the past month and a half until this past week. Whatever you do, just be as gentle as possible with it and don't make the same mistake I did.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:56 PM

You aint kidding trial and error, I took both door panels off and kept having to look at the pass. side for reference,took about an hour to get right. I broke the hole off the triangle that the doorlock lever is connected to, but I had enough material left on it to drill a new hole and reconnect the pivot piece.

Originally Posted by bjr1990
You just have to bend the bars back into place with trial and error. HOWEVER, be VERY careful what you're doing and that you don't break off one of the bars like I did on one of my doors (it was a pretty stupid move on my part).

I got my driver side door back on working and then got frustrated and went too far with the passenger side door and broke the bar off and had to get it fixed. I was driving around with an unlocked passenger door for the past month and a half until this past week. Whatever you do, just be as gentle as possible with it and don't make the same mistake I did.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I may have the same issue but my foot I'd stuck locked. Anybody tried taking a door panel off with the door closed? Lol
Old 04-06-2013, 05:24 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I know I'm bringing up an old thread but I have solved this problem in mine.

the button on the inside would stay in the locked position however my door wouldn't lock. all I did was bend the little bar a little bit and it worked instantly. I guess when I left it hanging it straightened out.