Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headlight Connector Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Headlight Connector Help!

Hey friends. Ive had a buttload of trouble with my lights on this jeep, well on really most everything electrical. Some of cruiser54's post helped my problems, others remain unsolved. Heres my biggest one. Right after I bought my jeep The dash lights went out in the middle of driving. Only thing coming from the headlight switch were my headlights, hi and lo. New switch, nothing. relays, fuses, nothing. So after about 5 months of living with gangster-rigged tail lights on their own switch and headlights, the headlights stopped working on start up. I would pop the hood, wiggle the 10 pin connector behind the air intake, and they would come on like magic. Only the headlights though. Now, only my brights work no matter how much wiggling i do. So this is my plan. Im going to hardwire past this crappy ten pin connector, which is corroded and has wires sticking out of it. Problem, cant understand the wiring daigrams to know which wire if for what on the connector. they are all different colors but i cant find anything that shows me the right colors. I have a haynes and chiltons book and they both show me the headlight wires are white, but on my harness they are purple, black and red.So before I start my "Snip 'n Guess" adventure, maybe someone can help me. Its a 95 XJ. Heres photos.

As you can see, this is the connector on the harness to the headlights. Corroded (Yes i used electronic cleaner and some corrosion stuff, wont go away) and there is a stray wire just hanging out. There may even be pins missing. Who knows?

Another view of the same connector, notice the blue and red wire just popping out, cool right?

Back end of the connector in the compartment. this time a green and red wire just hanging out, which by the way is hot.

other view of the front of that connector. One of the holes literally has no metal in it anymore.

So there are only 6 pins in this 10 pin connector? or im missing some? gosh i need help. just gonna go plier and electrical tape crazy here in a second.:brickwall :
Old 04-06-2013, 09:36 AM

Crickets. I feel the same way. So I started snipping and hard wiring everything together one at a time, and I got a pretty good feel for what the colors go to now. Starting at 1, I went up, the first connection I did gave me running parking lamps! Something I've never had. So great success, right? The only other things that worked were the hi and lo beams, and now my parking lamps dont work again. Maybe a fuse? Checking that now. This sucks.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:24 AM

All my fuses are great. So when EVERYTHING is connected and the headlights are turned ON:
WORKING
Blinkers
Hi beams
Lo beams

NOT WORKING
Parking Lamps
Side marker lamps
Dash Lights
Tail Running Lights

Heres the kicker. The parking lamps turn on when they are connected and the headlights are NOT CONNECTED. Connect the headlights, the parking lamps go OFF, Headlights come ON. Disconnect the parking lamps, the headlights go OFF, even when connected. Disconnect the side marker lamps, everything goes OFF. So basically it all need to be connected for the headlights to work, but then only the headlights do. Parking lamps will work if you disconnect headlights. Blinkers function normally, side marker lamps arent getting power.

Last edited by Cody; 04-06-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:01 PM

I 100% found the root of my problem. I took the dash apart, in an attempt to get at the headlight switch and see if power was coming out. Well when I pushed on the release button on my headlight switch, I heard a little 'click' like everything turned on, looked up, and my dash lights, parking lamps, and running tail lights were on for the first time in almost a year! Great news? NO. As soon as I pull the switch into position one, I hear the same 'click' again, along with the normal 'click' of turning your lights on, but this was the 'click' i heard earlier. This time it shut my dash, parking, and rear running lights OFF. So I can wiggle my switch and get those lights to come on, but not with headlights on. I figured it was a bad switch, even tho it was the lifetime warranty Duralast one from autzone, I went and bought another one, 25 dollars and and 10 mintues later, the new one does the same thing. So I literally have no idea what to do at this point. Find the 'click' and wire that to my headlights? Im so lost.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:31 PM

The 'click' is a relay underneath the dash. Below is a picture and the one my thumb is on is the one that clicks.

It clicks at all the "in between" stages of my headlight switch. By this I mean, right before it actuates into position 1 for parking lights this relay will click on and off, if i hold it in the right spot to stay on, my dash lights work. Also, right before it actuates into postion 2 for headlights, it clicks on and off real fast. If I hold it there, same thing, my dash lights work. As SOON AS I pull the switch into a position, this relay will not stay on. So I cannot have dash lights with tail lights. I am thinking of looking at a diagram like the one below, and just jumping all of the lights to the headlight switch postion, so when It gets to that point they all stay on, hopefully.

Maybe if I jump "To Parking Lights" and "To Dash-Lights Dimmer" to "To Head Lights" they will all work when I hit the headlights. The dimmer feature will not work but thats whatever to me at this point.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91

I sure hope some one has the answer for this. I have the same thing going on after i installed a new radio in daughters rig