Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Door stuck shut..

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Door stuck shut..

Hey all, been awhile since if been on here. The right rear door is stuck shut on my rig. Seems that the lock mech on the actuator stop working.. the lock rod does not move enough to engage/disengage the lock. Of course I can't unbolt the actuator without opening the door
Anybody have any ideas??
Old 02-05-2013, 03:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by aab92
Hey all, been awhile since if been on here. The right rear door is stuck shut on my rig. Seems that the lock mech on the actuator stop working.. the lock rod does not move enough to engage/disengage the lock. Of course I can't unbolt the actuator without opening the door
Anybody have any ideas??
Try spraying some wd40 in the lock. Also try smacking the door and pushing in then out when when you try to open it.

Also, try spraying some wd40 in the actual door button as well.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

Take off the door panel from the inside and then manually unlock it. It is held on by screws and clips. The screws will come out easily. The clips will most likely break being you will be removing it at an odd angle. You can get replacements for cheap. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by esteem
Take off the door panel from the inside and then manually unlock it. It is held on by screws and clips. The screws will come out easily. The clips will most likely break being you will be removing it at an odd angle. You can get replacements for cheap. Good luck.
Already have taken the door panel off from the inside. if I push or pull on the rod it still will not engage/disengage the lock.. is there a different way to unlock it?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:16 PM

Year: 2000

slim jim.... ohhhhhh yeaaaaaaaa

no seriously get a slim jim and you should be able to hook the mech. inside the door by the latch
Old 02-05-2013, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cbagg
slim jim.... ohhhhhh yeaaaaaaaa

no seriously get a slim jim and you should be able to hook the mech. inside the door by the latch
Have already pulled and fiddled around with the mech inside the door. No luck. Mech seems jammed.

Guess I gotta get out the torch and cut the door off... ****
Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Soak it with penetrating oil and keep working it. The mechanism is interlocked so you can't unlock the door unless the latch is completely released. Normally not a problem unless the latch mechanism sticks.
Common scenario is you try to open the door when it is locked. The mechanism sticks and does not return to it's resting position so you can't unlock the door, but you can't open it either because it is locked. Nothing works and you are stuck.
Operate the latch handle and you'll see a small flat piece of metal move up and down on the rear (inside) edge of the door just above the door latch. It slides up when you operate the door handle, back down when you release it. If it sticks "up" the locks will not operate.
I see you are also in Wisconsin. Rain, melting snow then subzero temps. A bit of water in there followed by the cold will do it.
I pushed the button to open the door on mine not realizing it was locked, the mechanism stuck, further attempts to push the button did nothing and the lock wouldn't completely unlock. Penetrating oil shot in between the glass and the door freed it up and even that took a while. Doesn't have to be frozen water in there to be a problem, cold wx and old grease will stick it too, or plain disuse.

Last edited by Radi; 02-06-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

I agree^. Another method I've done is reaching your hand in there and moving the mechanism both ways whether that's up or down or side to side. Once it is in each position. Give the door a hard shove. I had this issue with my back latch and after hours of time spent on it, the thing that go it open was a good kick. Not everyone may agree with that though.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

it would be funny if you were asking this while stuck inside. sorry
The following users liked this post:
Brian95993 (05-18-2023)
Old 02-06-2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
Soak it with penetrating oil and keep working it. The mechanism is interlocked so you can't unlock the door unless the latch is completely released. Normally not a problem unless the latch mechanism sticks.
Common scenario is you try to open the door when it is locked. The mechanism sticks and does not return to it's resting position so you can't unlock the door, but you can't open it either because it is locked. Nothing works and you are stuck.
Operate the latch handle and you'll see a small flat piece of metal move up and down on the rear (inside) edge of the door just above the door latch. It slides up when you operate the door handle, back down when you release it. If it sticks "up" the locks will not operate.
I see you are also in Wisconsin. Rain, melting snow then subzero temps. A bit of water in there followed by the cold will do it.
I pushed the button to open the door on mine not realizing it was locked, the mechanism stuck, further attempts to push the button did nothing and the lock wouldn't completely unlock. Penetrating oil shot in between the glass and the door freed it up and even that took a while. Doesn't have to be frozen water in there to be a problem, cold wx and old grease will stick it too, or plain disuse.

Thanks for the good info! I've had her in the heated garage since yesterday morning hoping to warm it up a lil. I will fiddle around with it some more this afternoon. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by esteem
I agree^. Another method I've done is reaching your hand in there and moving the mechanism both ways whether that's up or down or side to side. Once it is in each position. Give the door a hard shove. I had this issue with my back latch and after hours of time spent on it, the thing that go it open was a good kick. Not everyone may agree with that though.
Oh trust me, ive kicked it already! lol
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

any luck yet
Old 02-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sideways99
any luck yet
Just got back from work, heading out to the garage after I type this message to try and persuade it open. Wish me luck, Ill need it!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I bet he's stuck inside now.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
I bet he's stuck inside now.
lol I got it!!

Took the door panel off and I literally emptied a whole can of penetrating spray on the actuator. (over a period of time and failed attempts to open the door of course.) Funniest part was after I used the whole can(my last one) I was tugging and swearing up a storm and it wouldn't do anything. So I stopped took and breath and just tried to open it nonviolently and she popped right open. Sum b.tch lol

Thanks for the advice guys!

Quick Reply: Door stuck shut..