Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

door speaker question

Old 06-16-2011, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default door speaker question

Is their a fuse in the kick panel for the door speakers. Its a 2000 xj, the speakers in the sound bar ork the rest dont . I put a new radio in today because my old one took a poop. But it has been bothering me so I was just wondering
Old 06-16-2011, 06:37 PM

Year: 1997

Double check you wiring. Maybe you mix matched some wires
Old 06-16-2011, 07:14 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by BlvdKreeper
Double check you wiring. Maybe you mix matched some wires
The wire with the black line on it is negative I believe... Also what kind of speakers did u get?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM

There is a radio fuse but no speaker fuse, unless your speakers run off an amp. Most likely you have broken wires in the boot connecting the door to the body. I'll cut and paste my fix if I can dig it up.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:33 PM

Year: 2000

Yea no fuse just did mine and rewired for the speakers the eleven year old wire was all cracked and worn away
Attached Thumbnails door speaker question-forumrunner_20110616_203306.jpg  
Old 06-16-2011, 07:36 PM

Default my old write-up

It could be that the factory wires are broken in the door boot or behind the kick panels. It is common. Test your stereo by using a short pair of wires to jump it to a spare speaker just to make certain the stereo is in working order. Always best to be sure before you do a complete rewire.

Below is my write-up for running fresh wire to the door speakers, though you are probably familiar with doing the same, the door-jam boot can be troublesome because it is so tight around the factory wires.

-----------------------------------

In my '99 the speaker wires were wrapped with the other wires (power locks/windows/mirrors). The speaker wires broke in the boot, multiple times it would seem by the way the previous owner spliced it 4 times on 1 strand and 2 times on the other...

I started with a spool of 16gauge wire at the dash with the radio out, ran it within the dash (your route doesn't matter as long as the wire doesn't ride on anything that moves or is sharp) and to the kick-panel area. Keeping the wire on the spool until you are done entirely with that side will save you from cutting it too short and wasting the wire.

Using the old wire to pull my new wire through was impossible, so I used a flat-head screwdriver to pop the boot within the kick-panel as well as the boot between the door and the vehicle. The kick-panel boot is big as it goes into the sheetmetal but was so tight around the factory wiring that I couldn't slide anything through, so I VERY carefully punched a hole through the rubber portion above the original wiring and slid my 16gauge wire through it.

Then I fished it through the between-door boot and into the door. Give yourself plenty of slack in the wire thus relieving tension to lessen the chance of the new wire breaking. Then hook it up to whatever speaker you are running. Re-secure both boots, they mash in pretty easily and have a nice rim that rides the sheetmetal, and make certain they are seated well so that your wiring never touches bare metal.

Hook it up properly to the stereo and rinse and repeat on the other side and you are golden.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Autonomous
There is a radio fuse but no speaker fuse, unless your speakers run off an amp. Most likely you have broken wires in the boot connecting the door to the body. I'll cut and paste my fix if I can dig it up.
Some cherokees had an infinity system i think stock
Old 06-16-2011, 10:38 PM

Well I know for a fact that the wires are right in the back of the head unit. Bit I guess I'm going to have to check he wires going to the speakers
Old 06-23-2011, 12:22 PM

Any luck?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Autonomous
Any luck?
I haven't really had anytime to mess with it. I'm in the middle of replacing the radiator and getting my winch bumper built on my 92 xj
Old 06-23-2011, 09:33 PM

The Infinity speaker in the driver's side door wasn't working in my 99. Sure enough, one of the tiny wires was broken in the boot where the door meets the body. It was easier for me to just run new, heavier, wires from the radio to the speaker.