Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

door locks going crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default door locks going crazy!

So me and the gf get in the xj and when I open the door I notice that my cargo light is flickering, which sucks because they're led. So I think nothing of it and we start a nice drive down Colfax to the dollar tree and all of a sudden my door locks actuate, I thought she did it. Then it happened again and again annnd again. Then it did it all the way to the Walmart. But o. the drive home I don't think it happened. I've tried searching the forums to no avail. Anyone have any clue. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by odgreen; 10-24-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: title wasn't appropriate
Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Broken wires in the D door loom.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the previous guidance work? I've had door locks issues with both of the 2000s I've owned. They both that problems with the springs in the child locks going bad (basically, the child lock function was permenantly on). I found a post that showed the correct two wires to splice together to override that function altogether. If I end up with toddlers, I may look into removing the jumper and/or getting replacement child lock switches.

The first one had the door wire problem mentioned in the first post. In my case, the broken wire was causing the lock system to behave as if the lock button was being constanly pressed.

In the second I just replaced all the wires in the door loom with a thicker gauge to spare myself the headaches later.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:44 AM
Banned

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

My doors would unlock every time I hit a bump and when I would hit the door or hatch kinda hard. It turns out when I took the dome light down the wires were shorting out on the ceiling.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:48 PM

Thanks for all the input guys, I work as a tech for a shop and being the only tech others means I haven't had time to loom at my own issues. But it seems like it may be in the passenger side switch. Like half the times my passenger side door gets shut the locks activate, or when I brake or hit a bump, sometimes. I'll loom into the cargo dome light tomorrow if I run out of cars to work on.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Broken wires in the D door loom.
This! Or it could be an exposed wire underneath the steering column. I had the "ghost locks" problem and found it to be an exposed wire. A little electrical tape fixed it.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by matt_2000xj
Thanks for all the input guys, I work as a tech for a shop and being the only tech others means I haven't had time to loom at my own issues. But it seems like it may be in the passenger side switch. Like half the times my passenger side door gets shut the locks activate, or when I brake or hit a bump, sometimes. I'll loom into the cargo dome light tomorrow if I run out of cars to work on.
I had the door locks freaking out on my 2000 too and it turned out to be the passenger door window/lock switch. This switch is also the control module for the locking system.