Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Door latch stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L l6
Default Door latch stuck

Today was a bad day. My front, passenger side door latch is frozen shut and I can't get my door open. I have tried to get in there from the back, and I have already taken off the inside door panel and the rods were connected and working fine. So please, before you suggest either of those things, don't. I dug around the latch with a screwdriver for a few hours last night and a few hours this morning until I got so fed up with it (and honestly a lot angrier than I should have) that I started drilling holes in the piece of crap. So now I have a door that will not open and a latch that looks like Swiss cheese. Anybody have an idea how to get it open before I start cutting the door off? (Half joking....)
I should also mention that before this all started the latch was stuck in the closed position and I couldn't close the door, so I took the latch out, opened it and cleaned and sprayed it with lube and put it all back together. (I guess this is where I should have tossed that one and went and got a new one.) As soon as I closed the door after that it was stuck and wouldn't open again.
So, anyone have ideas? Please help!