Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Door gets stuck everyday.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L IL-6
Default Door gets stuck everyday.

When I first got my jeep one of the back doors would get the lock stuck in between locked and unlocked. I would just bounce off of the latch whenever I would try to shut it and end up having to manually but it in lock just to close it.

Well it started happening to my driver door and now it happens whenever there is any sudden temperature change and now during the spring it happens about everyday now. Is there anything I can do to stop this!?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Hmm, never heard of this one. My remedy to this would be grease everything up that is affiliated with the locking mechanism and striker. Or, you could try spraying some lubricant on the locking mechanism and the striker. I would say use PB Blaster, but it could make the plastic parts deteriorate.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:44 PM

I took off the door panel and sprayed some wd-40 and it seems to be doing well, at least some things feel like they are working more smoothly. I'll have to wait a while to see if it's a permanent fix.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:35 PM

Yeah it didn't do much. I tried it about 20 minutes ago and it just bounced off like it did before. This is getting frustrating.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Well anytime that happens, all you gotta do is put your finger in the latch and push it up until it clicks. It's possible that it was never clicked up all the way so it closed and locked, but eventually came loose when the door was opened it came back down which made it bounce off when it hit the striker. Just an idea, but might be worth trying. I would just push upwards on the latching mechanism and make sure it's clicked all the way in.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by sgt.arafak
When I first got my jeep one of the back doors would get the lock stuck in between locked and unlocked. I would just bounce off of the latch whenever I would try to shut it and end up having to manually but it in lock just to close it.

Well it started happening to my driver door and now it happens whenever there is any sudden temperature change and now during the spring it happens about everyday now. Is there anything I can do to stop this!?
The door catch assembly (latch) needs to be replaced. The latch is coated with teflon that was ment to keep out corrosion, but instead it gets between the metal of the latch and the latch assembly housing causing them to bind.