Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dont know what to do!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Dont know what to do!!

okay I'm going to try to make this short and sweet. replaced the head gasket on my 87 Jeep Cherokee Renix the head was supposably magnaflux and check for cracks it was returned to me with the head was fine had it resurfaced and put back on.parts replaced while doing the head gasket are as follows. water pump new radiator new power steering pump new head boltsnew timing chain cap rotor plugs wires switched from a closed cooling system to an open cooling system all brand new hoses clamps everything everything is been torque to spec . but I'm still noticing oil mixing with my coolant when you check the oil level on the dipstick there are no signs chocolate milky substance which would indicate a blown head gasket so I'm stumped the Jeep has been park for a while I just pulled it out everything fire sup sounds very goodno white smoke a little lack of powerbut anyways if anybody can give me help it would be very much appreciated I know Cruisers really knowledgeable on these Renix motors and if you get this message maybe you can give me some ideas and point me in the right direction

Last edited by rugerwallace; 03-28-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: l6

Cruiser will be confused if he reads this. As will anyone else. You may be on a phone, you may be on a typewriter-- but punctuation is very helpful in these cases. And I, for one, don't understand half of what you just wrote.

In other words, if you do have milky oil, there are some issues you need to dig into. But nobody can offer much help if they're confused.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I had a really hard time trying to make out what you're saying... a little punctuation goes a long way in getting people to help.

If I understand correctly... You had your head reworked, and in the process, changed all of these parts...

Originally Posted by rugerwallace
water pump, new radiator, new power steering pump, new head bolts, new timing chain, cap, rotor, plugs, and wires, switched from a closed cooling system to an open cooling system, all brand new hoses clamps, everything everything is been torque to spec .
But your still having this issue...

I'm still noticing oil mixing with my coolant. when you check the oil level on the dipstick, there are no signs chocolate milky substance which would indicate a blown head gasket, so I'm stumped

So, I'm wondering if oil in your coolant was one of the original symptoms that lead you to get the work on your head done. If it was, then did you flush your cooling system when you had this work done, to make sure all of that old nasty stuff was out of there? You didn't mention anything about flushing it out.

Did you replace the whole radiator or just add one of those caps, spliced in to the upper hose?

Have you pressure tested the new cooling system since you had the work done?

Also, when you had your original problem, did you use any Stop Leak or anything that could have gummed up your cooling system, nd if so, did you get all of that crud flushed out?
Old 03-28-2015, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

itshard nough when postershave the respect to write outtheir issue

There is no sign of water except sign's of water. I think I understood that much. Feel free to try again Ruger!
Old 03-28-2015, 03:41 PM

sorry about the punctuation and yes I am on a smartphone . no I did not flush the block I just replaced the radiator and the closed cooling system to an open cooling system. the frustrating part of the whole thing is that was the whole reason I did the head gasket job was because I seen oil in the coolant reservoir. really sorry that I couldn't Be on my home computer. Buts it's down right now!
Old 03-28-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

no I did not flush the block I just replaced the radiator and the closed cooling system to an open cooling system.
Flush the old junk out... If you had oil mixed in witht he coolant that you left in the block and the heater core, its mixed everywhere now, so flush the whole cooling system correctly, and then observe from that point. Hard to tell what problems are new if you haven't gotten rid of all the signs of the old problems.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:47 PM

Their is no milkshake on my dip stick no white smoke everything has been torque to spec. But I cannot figure out why their is still some what of an oil sheen in my coolant reservoir!
Old 03-28-2015, 03:51 PM

Ok thanks for your input! When I do the flush do I hook the adapter on the top hose that runs to the heater core I've never done a complete flush!
Old 03-28-2015, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

Their is no milkshake on my dip stick no white smoke everything has been torque to spec. But I cannot figure out why their is still some what of an oil sheen in my coolant reservoir!
That oil could be transmission fluid.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:03 PM

It's a 5 speed manual though! How could that happen?
Old 03-28-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a 5 speed manual though! How could that happen?
Good question! Nonetheless, you will need to go through the proper steps of diagnosing a head gasket issue because you are still having the problem.

Don't even think about putting any stop-leak or head gasket fixer junk in your radiator or engine.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:26 PM

Default complete flush

Is the hose that I hook my adapter to do a complete flush?
Old 03-28-2015, 05:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Yes, I think so. If it's just little oil sheen, I might just use water, run/flush a few times. Then maybe finish with a flush. Idk....maybe the flush stuff has detergent that will remove a layer of oil slime in the system. Dishwasher detergent doesn't foam up IIRC...

Undoing the lower Rad hose is the best way to drain it.

Btw that kink in your front vent tube could cause you some real grief. If that is not free to vent, blowby can cause crankcase pressure to make it **** out the rear main seal, (for starters). Looks sweet!
Old 03-29-2015, 09:12 AM

Engine: inline 6

Looks like adding oil would be a pain.Does the cowl induction help it run any cooler?
Old 03-29-2015, 10:32 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by kearny
Does the cowl induction help it run any cooler?
That's not its purpose. The purpose of a cowl intake is to get denser air into the intake manifold to help combustion. It shouldn't affect cooling.