Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dome light question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 01:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Dome light question.

I have a 97 Cherokee Sport. Since I have bought it the dome light does not turn on whenever the door opens or when turning the ****. The two push button lights on either side of it work when clicking them on. I checked all fuses and they were all fine. Any ideas on what the issue may be?

Thanks
Old 03-14-2015, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

Is the bulb burned out? A new bulb would fix that...

(Not to sound like Captain Obvious...but sometimes things are that simple...and it is much nicer to fix things that are that simple.)
Old 03-14-2015, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Agreed on the bulb... LOL
Old 03-14-2015, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Do you have a mini dome light or an overhead console.

Here's some pics you can eyeball about getting at the bulb in a ('99) mini:

Name:  DSCF2640.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  879.4 KB

Name:  DSCF2639.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  883.2 KB

Name:  DSCF2638.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  893.2 KB

The bulb is a type 561.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:08 AM
Seasoned Member

I have the one in your picture. The bulb is brand new but still does not work. All fuses have been checked also. Any ideas on what the issue may be? The push button lights both work.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:10 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by awork
I have the one in your picture. The bulb is brand new but still does not work. All fuses have been checked also. Any ideas on what the issue may be? The push button lights both work.

Do the courtesy lamps in the foot wells come on when you open the driver's door? The front passenger door?

Does the warning chime sound when the key is left in the ignition and the driver's door is opened (engine off)?
Old 03-18-2015, 08:01 PM
Seasoned Member

No lights at all come on whenever the door opens but the drivers side door does chime whenever its open with the key in the ignition. I looked through all of the fuses in the cab and none were blown.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:54 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by awork
No lights at all come on whenever the door opens but the drivers side door does chime whenever its open with the key in the ignition. I looked through all of the fuses in the cab and none were blown.

I'm suspecting the driver's door jamb switch.

Test the cargo bay lamp system. Close the driver's door, open the liftgate, cycle the cargo bay lamp/switch on and off. The cargo bay lamp and the dome light lamp should turn on and off. The cargo bay lamp switch provides a ground to the dome lamp independent of the driver's door jamb switch. If the dome lamp doesn't work by doing this there may be a power interruption to the dome lamp.

The driver's door jamb switch has two sets of contacts. One set of contacts provides a ground for the ignition switch "Key-In switch" and the other set of contacts provides a ground for the dome light lamp/courtesy lamps. It is possible for the dome lamp contacts to be defective and the key-in contacts to be operational (chime sounds with key left in the ignition).
Old 03-21-2015, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by CCKen
I'm suspecting the driver's door jamb switch.

Test the cargo bay lamp system. Close the driver's door, open the liftgate, cycle the cargo bay lamp/switch on and off. The cargo bay lamp and the dome light lamp should turn on and off. The cargo bay lamp switch provides a ground to the dome lamp independent of the driver's door jamb switch. If the dome lamp doesn't work by doing this there may be a power interruption to the dome lamp.

The driver's door jamb switch has two sets of contacts. One set of contacts provides a ground for the ignition switch "Key-In switch" and the other set of contacts provides a ground for the dome light lamp/courtesy lamps. It is possible for the dome lamp contacts to be defective and the key-in contacts to be operational (chime sounds with key left in the ignition).
Ok so had a chance to look a little today. I removed the rear dome light and one of the plugs is burnt up bad but thats not the one that has a plug in it. The other one looks fine. Is that something that is normal with jeeps? I read that other people have had that issue too.
Still neither of my dome lights work. I plan on looking into it more tomorrow but any advice on what to do?