Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Do I need a YSE or a TCD?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default Do I need a YSE or a TCD?

I just got my 00 XJ home after a 2" lift and 30x9.5x15's added. I have a vibration starting small from a stop and getting bad around 25-30mph then evening out. Which one do I need to correct this?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I would try a transfer case drop before an SYE at only a 2" lift. A transfer case drop is really only a bandaid, but should be fine for only 2 inches. Also, it may just be your U-joints considering the driveline angle was just changed and they've been in the same spot for 10 years.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YSE = yolk slip eliminator? with only 2 inches youll be more than okay with a transfer case drop, but are you sure thats the problem? only 1 out of 10 trucks get driveline vibes after only 2" of lift...

new tires might not have been balanced, or a weight might not have been pounded on good enough and fell off.

usually driveline vibes dont become noticeable until upwards of 30 or so mph.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by 96Cherokee113
I would try a transfer case drop before an SYE at only a 2" lift. A transfer case drop is really only a bandaid, but should be fine for only 2 inches. Also, it may just be your U-joints considering the driveline angle was just changed and they've been in the same spot for 10 years.

i dont get why people call a transfer case drop a bandaid. if the drop fixed the vibrations, and you have no desire of going higher, then it worked as a permanent fix. the t-case drop will correct the angles, and put it in proper operation.

usually when someone says bandaid fix i think of it as just covering the problem and not fixing it. like running thicker oil when your bearings start wearing out, when the proper thing to do is rebuild.

just my 2 cents
Old 03-22-2010, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

it will wear your motor mounts out quicker...IMO the OP has other issues.....tire balance,U-joint,mounts...something.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 98 JeepJeep
it will wear your motor mounts out quicker...IMO the OP has other issues.....tire balance,U-joint,mounts...something.
lift kit will wear out steering components quicker, bigger tires will wear out ball joints and steering parts quicker, without a regear it will make your motor work harder, thus wearing it out quicker. not to mention burn more fuel and cost more at the pump. im sure motor mounts are the least of most peoples worries.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 84wagoneer
i dont get why people call a transfer case drop a bandaid. if the drop fixed the vibrations, and you have no desire of going higher, then it worked as a permanent fix. the t-case drop will correct the angles, and put it in proper operation.

usually when someone says bandaid fix i think of it as just covering the problem and not fixing it. like running thicker oil when your bearings start wearing out, when the proper thing to do is rebuild.

just my 2 cents
A transfer case drop puts more stress on your motor mounts, transmission mounts, and driveline parts. This is why it is only a bandaid. It's not the best option. A SYE is the correct thing to do to correct driveline angles, but shouldn't be necessary with only a 2" lift.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by 98 JeepJeep
what will? i dont understand this post.. OP?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:39 PM

I thought it was weird too that only 2 inches would vibe but it's really not that bad to begin with, just noticeable. The wheels were just balanced TODAY so I'm sure that's not the problem. We'll see what the TCD does since I really don't want this problem to become a huge headache before I know it can't be fixed easily.

Any other likely causes of this?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BigJeepBigSnow
what will? i dont understand this post.. OP?
OP stands for Original Poster. When you put on a transfer case drop, it lowers the driveline to decrease the angle. This increases the amount of stress on the motor mounts, trans mounts, and driveline all together. The "correct" thing to do is install a SYE, but shouldn'y be needed for only 2" of lift and a transfer case drop should be fine. A TC drop isn't the best option, but will be fine.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BigJeepBigSnow
I thought it was weird too that only 2 inches would vibe but it's really not that bad to begin with, just noticeable. The wheels were just balanced TODAY so I'm sure that's not the problem. We'll see what the TCD does since I really don't want this problem to become a huge headache before I know it can't be fixed easily.

Any other likely causes of this?
I would change the u-joints too.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:47 PM

I would change the u-joints too.
Ok, this is the part that sucks because this is my first lifted anything/altered suspension experience. At the risk of sounding stupid.. What is a U-joint and where's the best online source for them?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 PM

The TC drop I was gonna order says it's for 3-4 inch lifts. Will this still work for my purposes? If not, anyone have a link to one that's recommended?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

A typical transfer case drop is one inch. Just get one that is one inch and you'll be fine. Also, the U-joint is what connects the driveshaft to the transfer case on one end and the driveshaft to the differential on the other end. Here's a video to help you better understand
. I'd recommend getting a repair manual if you're not quite sure. It will help with many repairs down the road.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:29 PM

OP stands for Original Poster. When you put on a transfer case drop, it lowers the driveline to decrease the angle. This increases the amount of stress on the motor mounts, trans mounts, and driveline all together. The "correct" thing to do is install a SYE, but shouldn'y be needed for only 2" of lift and a transfer case drop should be fine. A TC drop isn't the best option, but will be fine.
a four wheel drive and offroading forum and youre worried about stress on motor and tranny mounts dropping a t-case 1" will do? doh. better leave the xj in the garage and start wearing a helmet in public

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do I need a YSE or a TCD?