Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

do i need a tune-up

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default do i need a tune-up

I'm mechanically challenged. I have a 98 with 85,000 miles; it started idling slightly rough. A friend of mine looked and told me the he thought it might just need a tune-up.

I wanted get ya'll's opinion on the subject.

Also, about the same time it started squeaking (maybe a belt).
Any help would really be appreciated.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

wow a 98 with 85k miles? That's pretty low mileage!

When was the last time your jeep was serviced? That should help you decide what you would need to service first.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Do you know when the last tune up was? If not, then I would air on the side of caution and do it. Most of it is straightforward and can be done by anyone. Slightly rough idle is probably either old spark plugs or even a clogged air filter or also a bad fuel filter.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: Inline 6

definitly do a tune up... cant hurt... and for the squeeking, its a chrysler.. it may be the idler pully... itll go away and come back otherwise spray it with some belt dressing should go away
Old 06-10-2010, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what you mean by tune up. I'm a big believer in doing a complete job, so here's my list.

Plugs, Wires, distributor cap, rotor button, PCV valve.

Oil change, but only after running an oil flushing treatment through it for 15 minutes. (I put the stuff in and take it to a quick change place - that's 15 minutes for me.)

A can of injector cleaner in a full tank of premium fuel.

Air filter. Fuel filter

Have the oil change place run a radiator flush for you. I change the thermostat every few years since the way you're going to find out yours has gone bad is that the engine will melt.

And have the oil change place run a transmission flush for you.

All this will cost a good 200$ or more, depending, but it'll sure save your patooey down the road.

Does it all work? Probably. I have a 90 model GMC with 400,000 miles which has never had the head off the engine or the pan off the transmission.

BOL!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by OldMan
Depends on what you mean by tune up. I'm a big believer in doing a complete job, so here's my list.

Oil change, but only after running an oil flushing treatment through it for 15 minutes. (I put the stuff in and take it to a quick change place - that's 15 minutes for me.)

Air filter. Fuel filter

Have the oil change place run a radiator flush for you. I change the thermostat every few years since the way you're going to find out yours has gone bad is that the engine will melt.

All this will cost a good 200$ or more, depending, but it'll sure save your patooey down the road.

Does it all work? Probably. I have a 90 model GMC with 400,000 miles which has never had the head off the engine or the pan off the transmission.

BOL!

THIS is good advice. Ordinary, routine, attention to details will buy you more reliability and driveability than all the "improved" parts on planet earth.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by OldMan

Air filter. Fuel filter

BOL!
very good advice. i wouldnt take it to a shop though. i would go buy a chiltons or haynes manual that tells you have to do these things. with simple hand tools and sometime you can do. save you some $$ and you will learn the process at the same time!
Old 06-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: Rebuilt 4.0L

Does it need a tune-up? Every car needs a tune-up. Unless it's a Ford. Then you're better off just leaving it on the side of the road.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

While you are at it change the fluid in BOTH differentials and the Transfer case. Also if you change the T-stat, good idea, change the radiator hoses also. I would also do the brakes. If it has a Zerk fitting grease it.

Second the Do it yourself plan, with the aid of a manual. You are the owner of a Jeep. You will save lots of money doing your own maintenance. You don't have to do it all at the same time, spread most of it out over a couple months. BUT you need to get caught up on the basic maintenance. After awhile you will no longer be mechanically challenged. If you EVER take your Jeep off-road it is a good idea to have a basic understanding of how your Jeep works and its condition.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Thanks for all the great advice. I've had the Jeep for a month, and I'm not sure if the previous owner ever tuned her up. It's my first Jeep; I've got lots of plans for it, but like you guys said, I'll take care of some routine maintenance first.

I will tackle the tune-up tomorrow.

Again, thanks.
This site is great.