Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Distributor position

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Distributor position

So a few months ago I put a new distributor in my '96 automatic. To make a long story short, I was frustrated with the whole process, and even though I knew better, I pulled the old distributor without marking the position of the rotor. What a dummy, I know. So vaguely remembering the position, I reinstalled the new one, it started fine. At the time because of some other issues it was running like garbage. So if I placed it a little off I wouldn't have noticed. I still have a multiple random misfire code. So after doing everything I can possible think of to rectify misfires, I have a smooth but misfire filled idle, if that makes any sense. SO- if I pull out the distributor, move it a tooth up or down and fire it back up and see how it's running, could that be the problem? I've changed everything there is to be changed, checked compression, fuel pressure, injector function, etc. This is the only other thing I can think of!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Mark the number one plug wire location in the distributor, then turn the engine over by hand and line the timing marks up on the balancer and timing cover to 0 TDC, take a look at the rotor and see where it is pointing. If it is pointing 180 degrees off just turn the crank one full turn and recheck it, you should be pointing right at the mark you made on the distributor. If it's not, then you need to adjust the position until it's correct.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Mark the number one plug wire location in the distributor, then turn the engine over by hand and line the timing marks up on the balancer and timing cover to 0 TDC, take a look at the rotor and see where it is pointing. If it is pointing 180 degrees off just turn the crank one full turn and recheck it, you should be pointing right at the mark you made on the distributor. If it's not, then you need to adjust the position until it's correct.
So to do that (bear with me) I would take the belt off, turn the lowest pulley in the middle of the motor, until the marks line up? Then I'm at 0 TDC and go from there? That makes it sound so much easier than the other write ups I've read on how to do that...thanks!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Seasoned Member

I read that I also need to put a screwdriver in the oil pump drive to put it in the 11 oclock position. Where is that??
Old 08-05-2011, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Tdc is when the mark on the damper is at 0 and the #1 piston is at the top of its stroke. The oil pump is driven by the distributor and the part you need to turn is under the distributor. Stick your flathead down in the hole where Tue distributor goes and you will find it.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Slick761
Tdc is when the mark on the damper is at 0 and the #1 piston is at the top of its stroke. The oil pump is driven by the distributor and the part you need to turn is under the distributor. Stick your flathead down in the hole where Tue distributor goes and you will find it.
Awesome. Thank you
Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Seasoned Member

For anyone else doing this I found that the easiest way is to put the motor at TDC, turn the oil pump drive to 11 o'clock. Then take the cover off the inside of the distributor and find the alignment holes. The 4.0 hole is the one furthest to the right if the holes are closest to the passenger fender. Drop a pin in the alignment hole. Drop the distributor in and as long as it drops right in, it is perfectly lined up. Pull out the pin, hook everything back up and you're good to go.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:25 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

Originally Posted by CattyXJ
For anyone else doing this I found that the easiest way is to put the motor at TDC, turn the oil pump drive to 11 o'clock. Then take the cover off the inside of the distributor and find the alignment holes. The 4.0 hole is the one furthest to the right if the holes are closest to the passenger fender. Drop a pin in the alignment hole. Drop the distributor in and as long as it drops right in, it is perfectly lined up. Pull out the pin, hook everything back up and you're good to go.
^^^THIS

http://motorage.search-autoparts.com...30/article.pdf
Old 08-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by dukie564
Good article
Old 08-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Seasoned Member