Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

distributer problem fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L HO, JBA headers, 99 intake, #703 injectors
Default distributer problem fix?

i finaly found out why my engine runs funky. throwing codes for a random muli cylinder missfire i changed out all the parts i thought of and no result. after months of trying to figure this out i got a tip from a friend who said to check the distributer shaft and see if its loose. bingo.. the shaft is loose. would anyone happen to know how to go about either tightning the shaft or replaceing the distributer? I have been reading though a few things but they are unclear with what exactly they are doing and i am not to familiar with the specifics of the system
Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Only fix is to replace the distributor. It's honestly not that bad to do. I was very skeptical about doing it myself after reading around a bit, as most write ups make it sound pretty hard to do. Here's what you do:

1. Take lots of pictures
2. Take a picture of how the wires are ran (so you'll get the firing order right when reinstalling)
3. Disconnect wires from cap and take off cap.
4. Unplug the Camshaft Position Sensor
5. Disconnect wire from spark plug #1 and take out spark plug
6. Get a wrench on the harmonic balancer and turn it clockwise until compression is felt in cylinder 1 (with your finger covering spark plug hole)
7. Take a picture of the position of the rotor at this point.
8. Take out rotor and CPS
9. Unbolt the 1/2" bolt holding the distributor to the block and remove entire distributor
10. Put in new distributor and get the teeth to mesh so that the rotor is in the same position on the new one as the old one you removed. This may require you sticking a flathead screwdriver down into the block and turning the oil pump. Also, make sure your gasket seats nicely at this step.
11. Put on CPS, rotor and cap. Reinstall spark plug #1 and reattach all wires in the proper order.
12. Fire her up
Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Only fix is to replace the distributor. It's honestly not that bad to do. I was very skeptical about doing it myself after reading around a bit, as most write ups make it sound pretty hard to do. Here's what you do:

1. Take lots of pictures
2. Take a picture of how the wires are ran (so you'll get the firing order right when reinstalling)
3. Disconnect wires from cap and take off cap.
4. Unplug the Camshaft Position Sensor
5. Disconnect wire from spark plug #1 and take out spark plug
6. Get a wrench on the harmonic balancer and turn it clockwise until compression is felt in cylinder 1 (with your finger covering spark plug hole)
7. Take a picture of the position of the rotor at this point.
8. Take out rotor and CPS
9. Unbolt the 1/2" bolt holding the distributor to the block and remove entire distributor
10. Put in new distributor and get the teeth to mesh so that the rotor is in the same position on the new one as the old one you removed. This may require you sticking a flathead screwdriver down into the block and turning the oil pump. Also, make sure your gasket seats nicely at this step.
11. Put on CPS, rotor and cap. Reinstall spark plug #1 and reattach all wires in the proper order.
12. Fire her up
thankyou. that made it alittle easier. I wont be able to get to it this week, as I work unrealistic hours. im going to shoot for this weekend. ill pick up a new distributer and get started around saterday morning. ill post pictures and keep updateing just incase I miss something.
is there any specific brand distributer to stay away from or to buy?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Just try and find one with a lifetime warranty. I don't know of any recommended brand. But you do want to get a cap with brass terminals
Old 04-20-2013, 01:52 PM

Sorry guys i havent been on in a while.. I had a friend help me install the distributer. It fired up and seemed to run smoothly and the about a day later, cel 7 code multi cylinder missfire p300-p306. The same problem i had before. Im not so sure the new distributer helped much