Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Disappointing weekend @ The Cherokee Ranch

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 01:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Disappointing weekend @ The Cherokee Ranch

Long weekend, had big plans for my 94 Cherokee 4.0 auto...
I ordered a new headlight switch, because mine is frozen. So 1st off I cant get out the old one,after 24 hrs of effort and WD-40.,... Ok I'll get it I tell myself.
I open my Amazon package with the new switch, and it is broken....
Ok I tell myself, I'll take this opportunity to change out my instrument cluster. I wanted to upgrade to one with a tach...Well its the wrong cluster..looks like maybe a GRAND Cherokee ???
OK I tell myself I guess I'll rebuild the one I have.......See corrosion on back around washers.....Im pretty sure there are washers that are made of metal that I should not use ?? Incompatible metals (copper and aluminum for one )
Will just cause more corrosion... Anyone want to chime in on a recommended washer I should use on the back of my cluster ??
Meanwhile, as I was looking at the back of my cluster, I found some letters that explain my feeling towards my Jeep toady !!
So I'm going over to some friends for beer and food this afternoon....Tomorrow is another day....
Cheer me up guys......
Attached Thumbnails Disappointing weekend @ The Cherokee Ranch-20180526_164304_resized.jpg   Disappointing weekend @ The Cherokee Ranch-20180527_102721_resized.jpg   Disappointing weekend @ The Cherokee Ranch-20180527_110053_resized.jpg   Disappointing weekend @ The Cherokee Ranch-20180527_110229_resized.jpg  
Old 05-27-2018, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Looks like your instrument cluster got wet at some time just clean it up and add some dielectric grease to help stop the corrosion .
Old 05-27-2018, 04:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0
Default Wet gfor sure

Yeh , this girl sat for almost 8 years...It leaked like most Cherokees and it was like a terrarium in there. Moisture trapped and cooked and moisture got in areas you wouldn't expect to get wet...
I'll go at it again tomorrow...Taking afternoon away from it.. .
Old 05-27-2018, 08:59 PM
jpk

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Ozalid
Long weekend, had big plans for my 94 Cherokee 4.0 auto...
I ordered a new headlight switch, because mine is frozen. So 1st off I cant get out the old one,after 24 hrs of effort and WD-40.,... Ok I'll get it I tell myself.
I open my Amazon package with the new switch, and it is broken....
Ok I tell myself, I'll take this opportunity to change out my instrument cluster. I wanted to upgrade to one with a tach...Well its the wrong cluster..looks like maybe a GRAND Cherokee ???
OK I tell myself I guess I'll rebuild the one I have.......See corrosion on back around washers.....Im pretty sure there are washers that are made of metal that I should not use ?? Incompatible metals (copper and aluminum for one )
Will just cause more corrosion... Anyone want to chime in on a recommended washer I should use on the back of my cluster ??
Meanwhile, as I was looking at the back of my cluster, I found some letters that explain my feeling towards my Jeep toady !!
So I'm going over to some friends for beer and food this afternoon....Tomorrow is another day....
Cheer me up guys......
The process to remove and replace the headlight switch is just about stupid. I had to do it several months ago and it wasn't fun. A huge PIA.