Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Differential Question/Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 05:57 AM

Received 268 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Differential Question/Recommendations

I have a stock 1996 Jeep Cherokee Classic, 2wd, automatic trans with the 4.0 HO engine. It is my daily driver and I do not take it off road. This year I have started to tow a small 3000lb camper. With that said, I also installed a trans oil cooler, added a trans oil temp gauge and completed all differential, transmission services. My question is about installing the Mopar Performance Sure-Grip Differentials P4529273 (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dc...view/make/jeep) into the Jeep. I have read about the lockers available, but I really don't want the noise that they seem to produce. The main reason for this install is the camp sites are usually non asphalt and with the trailer attached the Jeep has to be parked in such a way that the right rear tire has to be on hard or the hardest surface. I live in the coastal areas of north Florida/ south Georgia and the ground is mostly sand at these campsites. So will this differential provide me with traction to both rear wheels or to the one wheel with the best "grip" and does anybody have another recommendation? Also is there a write up or video on how to install it. Thanks and ya'all have a great Jeepin Day!
Old 04-24-2016, 06:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993

Look into power Trax no slip lockers, they are a lunchbox type that just go into the existing carrier so you don't need to press on new bearings and reset your backlash after install. Also they are supposed to be the quietest and most street friendly lunchbox locker. But if you do choose to go with a full case replacement you might like a Detroit or Eaton limited slip better most Mopar limited slips use clutch packs that require additive and wear out easily and quickly
Old 04-24-2016, 08:58 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee

On a straight line pull.....they work, when turning in tight radius.....manipulating your trailer into a spot, tight corners.......they fail, big time.

You'll be disappointed, trust me, I have one.

Either go with the Eaton or spend the money on a selectable locker.

Boils down to this......

$400 now and regret or $800 now and no regrets.

Choice is yours.

Also, I get by as I have 4X.......you don't, if you need traction.......selectable.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I have a power trax no slip. Can't tell I have it till I need it. Maybe a little click here or there and if I really try it will stay locked when I lay into the gas. I'd get another one hands down. Definitely worth it. I actually used it yesterday pulling a trailer on softer ground and no slipping in 2wd and easily backed the trailer up right to the loading dock. I would highly recommend a no slip locker.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:03 PM

Great information..thank you all very much!!
Old 04-25-2016, 07:26 AM

Based on information here and my own research, I have ordered the Power Trax slip right locker. Once received and installed I will revisit the post and update on results... Thanks again..
Old 05-12-2016, 05:45 PM

ok..brain fart...returned the right lock and ordered a no slip...then had to return the no slip because my 1996 Jeep has 29 splines, which there is no where in any documentation that the 96 had a Chrysler 8.25 with 29 splines. They suppose to have the 27 spline... Anyway, finally got it installed and took the Jeep out for a break in drive. You can hear the locker disengage at slow speed turns and backing up, otherwise it is very quiet. Very happy with the suggestion...True reason why this forum exists..
Old 05-12-2016, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BruceB
ok..brain fart...returned the right lock and ordered a no slip...then had to return the no slip because my 1996 Jeep has 29 splines, which there is no where in any documentation that the 96 had a Chrysler 8.25 with 29 splines. They suppose to have the 27 spline... Anyway, finally got it installed and took the Jeep out for a break in drive. You can hear the locker disengage at slow speed turns and backing up, otherwise it is very quiet. Very happy with the suggestion...True reason why this forum exists..
it gets even quieter as time goes on, they're amazing!
Old 05-12-2016, 07:15 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts
Year: 1998

Thanks for the update. I'm considering getting one as well. Did you notice any extra driveline clunk when shifting into D or R? Also, how did it behave in the corners when you were on the gas?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by IJM
Thanks for the update. I'm considering getting one as well. Did you notice any extra driveline clunk when shifting into D or R? Also, how did it behave in the corners when you were on the gas?
I have a no-slip and there is slightly more clunk, but with good engine and trans mounts and good u joints it's not bad, not bad at all. When I first got my no-slip I had bad mounts and the tires would stay locked more often then now after replacing the mounts. If you cruise through or lightly gas through corners it'll unlock without even noticing, but if you hammer down through a corner it'll lock them and you can hear them gripping, but you'll understand it in no time and be able to predict what it'll do in all situations.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:50 PM

Actually the only "clunk" is when you let off the gas when driving down the road, but it is hardly noticeable. None when shifting from drive to reverse or vice versa. So far, (about 120 miles worth of driving) there seems to be very little noise and haven't noticed any appreciable change in how the Jeep corners, power on of off. Overall so far I am pleased with the unit and the fact of knowing that on slick boat ramps that I have more than one wheel drive...
Old 05-19-2016, 02:06 PM

Final update..drove the Jeep with 3500lb trailer for a few hundred miles. Stayed off off the interstates and drove the "old" roads... US1 and HWY17. Went through small towns and many turns. The PowerTrax No-Slip operated perfectly. I did notice that going up hill that the Jeep didn't seem to work as hard as before the upgrade. Turns, backing up, and general driving caused no drive-ability issues and the PowerTrax unit is audibly unnoticeable. Very pleased with the overall results!!
Old 05-19-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

FWIW, I believe early-to-mid 1996 models had 27 splines, so yours must be mid-to-late 1996. There's some oddball mid-year changes like that, like the rotors on my late '99 being cast instead of composite like the early '99s had.