Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Did I change the rear axle fluid right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Did I change the rear axle fluid right?

This crap confuses me because nothing is explicitly stated in the owner's manual OR on the bottle of Mobile-1 75w140 synthetic gear lube I used.

My 1999 Cherokee has a Dana 35 with limited slip (as so indicated by the tag hanging off of it.)

I paid 18 bucks a quart for this stuff and it didn't mention having the limited slip transmission additive included anywhere on the bottle.

So I bought a big tube of TransX which mentioned it met some Chrysler ## for usage. It said to add the entire tube, which I did.

I get online this morning and read that Mobil-1 already has additive included in it?!@ Will I screw something up running all this extra TransX back there? I have about 1.6 quarts of the Mobil-1 product in there and of course, this big tube of additive.

I really hope I didn't waste 50 bucks and do this wrong.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The extra additive won't hurt it.

Run it... it will be fine

SJ
Old 05-06-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Cool, thanks. It can't be any worse than the change interval the previous owner was using It had black RTV and some remnants of gray OEM stuff underneath, so at least it's been changed ONCE in its life before I got it.

I've still got the extra 1/2 quart of the 2nd bottle, so I can always suck out some of the old and put that in later.

Speaking of which, my gears themselves looked good (to my untrained eye.) They had no visible wear. The rear ones were clean and shiny even before I cleaned them off. The front was black and grimy. I suppose due to the difference of synthetic versus cheap 80w90 dino lube.

The front oil I drained looked like some sort of gothic shampoo with it's blackness and silver sparkles. But again, after cleaning the gears with brake cleaner to inspect everything, they look A-OK.

Everything is running silently, so I guess I'm good for now.

The previous owner might have driven 100k miles on what was in there though. Will the positrak rear end lose it's grab if you go that long, never to be seen again? I haven't wandered out to any gravel roads to attempt a test burnout yet.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

gravel road, dirt, your neighbor's grass... it's all the same