Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

In desperate need of help please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default In desperate need of help please!!!!

I was driving home from a friends house and right now we have super bad roads and really deep snow. In some parts the roads were over knee height and some places the snow was almost to my doors. Anyways there was a really big snow drift covering the whole road and i had gained some speed and i decided to go thru it and after wards my jeeps temperature gauge moved up a bit. I thought to myself its just from working it so hard. But i decided to pull into a gas station to check everything over and i looked at the ground before i opened the hood and there was a hugeeee antifreeze puddle in the snow and i looked under my jeeps engine bay and there was antifreeze just pouring at this point. I looked more and quicker and one of my hoses had blown a hole in it. I figured **** i better hurry up and get home and at this point i was only about 5 blocks away from my house so i hurried up and yes i know this is illegal in so many ways but i blew thru red lights and stop signs trying to get her home before she overheated and as i was about 3 blocks away my temperature gauge shot all the way to red and not even a second later i turned my jeep immediately off. I sat for about 10 minutes so it would cool down a bit because i turned it off in the middle of a road and this road was covered in snow and was over knee height and i didnt want to leave it there knowing almost nobody could have pulled me home then. I popped the hood open and yes i know this was also another stupid idea but i propped the hood open and left it open and drove home as quickly as i could while watching my temperature gauge. I got her home now and shes pouring antifreeze still but what im worried about is could i have done any damage during this whole time? I didnt let it get into the red zone again and i did check my oil after i got it home. Oil is clean still and is not milky and smells like oil and not like oil mixed with antifreeze. All i would like to know is if i could have warped or blown a head gasket thru this time? Im walking to the parts store tomorrow to pick up a hose and 2 gallons of antifreeze.

Sorry for the long post but im just worried sick that i could have damaged my Jeep. This jeep has been thru so much with me and i treat it like its my kid.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

you wont no untill you fix the leak and run it you got a 50/50 chance
Old 02-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Seasoned Member

You should be fine it doesn't take much antifreeze to turn oil milky
Old 02-02-2011, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
you wont no untill you fix the leak and run it you got a 50/50 chance
I really hope i get on the good 50 percent chance side. This jeep is everything to me right now and my parents depend on me and this jeep right now to get what we need for the house. Its the only car that can actually get around right now.

Originally Posted by Alaskan xj 97
You should be fine it doesn't take much antifreeze to turn oil milky
So your saying I might have blown a head gasket?

ALSO another question is if my engine doesn't have alot of antifreeze in it or none at all will it be fine till the morning? Im so worried at this point.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 AM

You will be fine til the morning with no anti-freeze. As they said chances of a warped head are 50/50, the headgasket is the least of your worries. Fix to coolant leak and go from there. If you didn't overheat it, it would take more the 10 mintues to cool it down.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 AM

I didnt let it get to the point of overheating as i was watching my gauge like a fat boy watching a cake being made. As soon as i watched my gauge start creeping quickly i shut it off within seconds. Snow fell all over the radiator and hoses and i kept turning my key to watch the temp gauge and it fell below 210 and thats when i took the chance of running it the last 3 blocks and as soon as i got in my driveway i threw it in neutral and shut it off and coasted to my parking spot. I seriously pray to god that he is with me in this time of need because i cannot afford to lose my jeep right now. I have next to no money and i will barely have enough for the hose and antifreeze at it is.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I would think that you should be ok... Biggest think like has been said is replace the busted hose and refill... and start it up again and let it run for a bit... once it is up to operating temp, let it got a bit longer and see if it is going to keep rising... if not, then shut it off and check your oil in a bit and see if it looks like there might be any coolant in it, and vise versa check you coolant and see if it looks like there might be any oil in it.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:55 AM

Relax and calm down, I think you are in the safe zone, i cooked my 4.0 before but I was pegged on the red, if you wanted if like you said you did you should be in the clear, jeeps overheating is common but they are still tough engines. Get a good night sleep and deal with it in the morning, replace the hose and move on from there and that is all you can do man, don't beat yourself up over it thinking what could be.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:09 AM

Im so worked up right now im thinking about breaking into my own work place just to fix my jeep right now! Bad idea i know and i wont do it but man am i worked up right now. Im sitting here staring at my ceiling thinking about it and waiting for you guys to reply and help me out. And blue dragon thats what i was planning on doing but im just so worked up right now that i just want to go out in this 6 degree weather and start taking that hose off. I just really hope that there wont be another jeep down in the community just because of a hose and my stupidity in a way.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:34 AM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

There should still be enough antifreeze in the system, so I would not worry about any thing getting frozen. As far as the head goes i would say at most it is a 20/80 chance that you cracked it. Meaning an 80% chance that there is no damage; hope this helps ease your nerves
Old 02-02-2011, 02:40 AM

Wow thanks bigjim alot! That eased my nerves enough for me to get some shut eye before i go on my hike to the parts store and lay in about 2-3 feet of snow to replace this hose. Hope everything is well on my jeep, She has been a champ and is a defiantly a fighter.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Don't worry I have a buddy who mudds his like he stole it and he gos until his is in the red then shuts it down over and over. You did the rite thing. If you had run 20 miles in summer heat maybe but not in the cold for a fraction of time
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 AM

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by BreakOut
I was driving home from a friends house and right now we have super bad roads and really deep snow. In some parts the roads were over knee height and some places the snow was almost to my doors. Anyways there was a really big snow drift covering the whole road and i had gained some speed and i decided to go thru it and after wards my jeeps temperature gauge moved up a bit. I thought to myself its just from working it so hard. But i decided to pull into a gas station to check everything over and i looked at the ground before i opened the hood and there was a hugeeee antifreeze puddle in the snow and i looked under my jeeps engine bay and there was antifreeze just pouring at this point. I looked more and quicker and one of my hoses had blown a hole in it. I figured **** i better hurry up and get home and at this point i was only about 5 blocks away from my house so i hurried up and yes i know this is illegal in so many ways but i blew thru red lights and stop signs trying to get her home before she overheated and as i was about 3 blocks away my temperature gauge shot all the way to red and not even a second later i turned my jeep immediately off. I sat for about 10 minutes so it would cool down a bit because i turned it off in the middle of a road and this road was covered in snow and was over knee height and i didnt want to leave it there knowing almost nobody could have pulled me home then. I popped the hood open and yes i know this was also another stupid idea but i propped the hood open and left it open and drove home as quickly as i could while watching my temperature gauge. I got her home now and shes pouring antifreeze still but what im worried about is could i have done any damage during this whole time? I didnt let it get into the red zone again and i did check my oil after i got it home. Oil is clean still and is not milky and smells like oil and not like oil mixed with antifreeze. All i would like to know is if i could have warped or blown a head gasket thru this time? Im walking to the parts store tomorrow to pick up a hose and 2 gallons of antifreeze.

Sorry for the long post but im just worried sick that i could have damaged my Jeep. This jeep has been thru so much with me and i treat it like its my kid.
Your a JERK, going to risk everyones life for your fricken Jeep

Its people like you I despise

"F" everyone else

Running red lights because your jeep is over heating is totally irresponsible

"you treat your Jeep like a kid"
I don't know anyone who would run red lights and stop signs with their kids in there

Last edited by CJ7365; 02-02-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by CJ7365

"F" everyone else

I don't know anyone who would run red lights and stop signs with their kids in there
Yeah, I have to agree with you, it isn't smart to go throught reds and stop signs.. Also, there is a point to make to.. why would you risk damaging your ONLY source on transportation.. I can because I have two vechicals but I wouldn't do half the **** I do if the Jeep was the only thing I had.. I do hope you can fix the jeep ease enough and get away with minior consequences just realise you got lucky and should double think how to treat your jeep.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by CJ7365

"F" everyone else

Easy son.. You might not agree with his tactics but I dont think that gives you the right to publicly bash him.. should you state it may not have been smart or responsible sure but dont go off. **Hope you understand where I am coming from before you blow up at me..**

Best of luck with fixing the jeep..

Quick Reply: In desperate need of help please!!!!