Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Deer-Proofing

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Deer-Proofing

My commute is in the middle of the night, with an average of two stops per night for crossing deer. After nailing three in my first nine months, I've been incident-free for the last nine years, but I know the odds aren't in my favor.

That brings us to the 99 Cherokee Sport I just purchased, and the best ways to "insure" it. I'm thinking a grille/brush guard, with maybe some driving lights pointed slightly outward. Can guards even stand up to a solid bump in the night? Also, I swear I've seen them on the road, but am having trouble locating the type that bolt to the frame while keeping the stock bumper. Any advice or other strategies are appreciated.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:48 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

Nothing but height is gonna keep a deer from coming through the windshield. Put some deer whistles up front. That will make the deer look up and toward you causing their eyes to reflect the headlights. You'll spot deer that are way off the road.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:52 PM
I like it in the dirt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by Timber Wolf
Nothing but height is gonna keep a deer from coming through the windshield. Put some deer whistles up front. That will make the deer look up and toward you causing their eyes to reflect the headlights. You'll spot deer that are way off the road.
i must disagree, my cavalier that sits no higher than 6 inches off the roadn with the bottom of the windshield no higher than three feet from the road hit a deer on an icy road at night time doing 110 km/h and no deer through the window, granted it did wreck the rad and in turn the motor heat siezed as the motor would not turn off with the key off. Anyway point is a stock kee is high enough to keep the deer out of the window, if a lowered cavalier is high enough
Old 12-07-2009, 06:41 PM

wow are you serious? do you even speak english or did you use an online language converter? get off this website
Old 12-07-2009, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

Originally Posted by lindalohan123
Hello !!!
Are you a good deer hunters? Are you interested in it? I would give you some types of deer stands to help you to become a professor in hunting deer. Have a look at : deer stands
Old 12-07-2009, 06:53 PM

i enjoy deer hunting, and i do it every year but i do not consider myself a professor lol!. i wonder if i could get a phd in deer hunting.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:28 PM
I like it in the dirt

Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee

Its a bot. Somebody should tell nathan
Old 12-07-2009, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0HO

reported it, sure im not the first one
Old 12-07-2009, 08:37 PM

Year: 1998 1992 1991
Engine: All Inline 6 4.0

lol professor not very smart
Old 12-07-2009, 09:13 PM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by mile1160
My commute is in the middle of the night, with an average of two stops per night for crossing deer. After nailing three in my first nine months, I've been incident-free for the last nine years, but I know the odds aren't in my favor.

That brings us to the 99 Cherokee Sport I just purchased, and the best ways to "insure" it. I'm thinking a grille/brush guard, with maybe some driving lights pointed slightly outward. Can guards even stand up to a solid bump in the night? Also, I swear I've seen them on the road, but am having trouble locating the type that bolt to the frame while keeping the stock bumper. Any advice or other strategies are appreciated.
The grill guards that you see around are just for show. No one runs them off road cause they offer no protection and upon impact of anything crunch into the grill and header panel. If you want front end protection get a steel front bumper with maybe a stinger. JCR has good prices. Like this one. http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=XJB
Old 12-07-2009, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 84wagoneer
wow are you serious? do you even speak english or did you use an online language converter? get off this website
Looks like there has been a couple post deleted out of this thread so i have no clue whats going on, but i can say thats not smart on your part to say something like "get off this website". This is a world wide forum and everyone is welcome, to a certian extent
Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 H.O

i had a arb that was involved in a wreck on my 99 xj.. turning left with the green arrow, and then some dude in a buick century blew the red light. the buick slammed right into the front of my xj. in the end the front end of my xj was trashhhhedddd. it ripped the unibody from the body, adn totaled the front end of it and the buick got the hood windshield and some of the roof ripped off of the car... the arb was perfectly fine except for the mounting brackets were bent. built new brackets, put it on my 91 and i was off again.. then i got really sick of the bumper so i cut it up and made a bumper off of the bullbar from the bumper.

the first picture is the bumper after the crash when i put it on my 91 and the second one is the picture when i cut it up and made a bumper off of the bullbar.
Attached Images   
Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

Originally Posted by warthog
Looks like there has been a couple post deleted out of this thread so i have no clue whats going on, but i can say thats not smart on your part to say something like "get off this website". This is a world wide forum and everyone is welcome, to a certian extent
he was just yelling at a bot haha.. hes all good
Old 12-07-2009, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 481 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by mile1160

There is a way to do it, but it involves a custom bumper. Some come close, like the Four Real bumpers in Quadratec.

I don't have any pics tonight, but the bumper needs to be a tube bumper on a significantly lifted XJ. Well braced of course with full plates going back on both sides and tied in to the bolt hole used for the stock tow hook bracket. You then need a HEAVY skid plate at at 45 degree angle that goes down almost as far as the front axle tube. It needs to be well braced.

So here is the deal. When you hit an animal with this bumper, it deflects the animal down instead of over the hood or through the radiator. I used to live in an area where you had to stop for herds at night so I know what you are talking about and built this bumper for this purpose as well as a winch.

So, does it work. So far. We moved from there, no more deer. But I hit a dog at about 35mph. Fast enough to damage a stock bumper and front clip. All I felt was a little muffled thump. The dog went down, rolled under the rig and out the back and lived to yap again.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987

Originally Posted by gmsween
i had a arb that was involved in a wreck on my 99 xj.. turning left with the green arrow, and then some dude in a buick century blew the red light. the buick slammed right into the front of my xj. in the end the front end of my xj was trashhhhedddd. it ripped the unibody from the body, adn totaled the front end of it and the buick got the hood windshield and some of the roof ripped off of the car... the arb was perfectly fine except for the mounting brackets were bent. built new brackets, put it on my 91 and i was off again.. then i got really sick of the bumper so i cut it up and made a bumper off of the bullbar from the bumper.

the first picture is the bumper after the crash when i put it on my 91 and the second one is the picture when i cut it up and made a bumper off of the bullbar.
an ARB bull bar is NOT a heavy duty bumper. I can lift one with one hand, over my head, with my arm that has a bad rotator cuff, and not feel any pain.

they weigh less than 100lbs (if they even make it to the 75lb mark), and are less than 1/8" thick. australians developed them for hitting kangaroos, which have a less significant broadside dimension to them than a deer.

an ARB is designed to take one hit, and safari speeds (not high mph), and save the rest of the vehicle...it's not designed to be reuseable after a hit like that.

that said, here's mine:

I hit a deer @ 70mph on the interstate with it, and no issues. the deer got it's shoulder past the front corner, and managed to get an antler up inside the horizontal tubes before I ran over it's body and tore off it's head. once I cleaned the blood and fur off, I noticed a tiny scratch in the paint...

lol. the thinnest metal on it is 1/4" and that's the tubing. the main frame of it is 3/16". I didn't make it...a local guy made it and sold it to me when he needed the money. it mounts to all the locations a factory tow hook bracket does.