Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Death Wobbles

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobbles

Ok so I have a 93 xj 4.0 High Output with a 6 inch lift. I got had bought a set of Mickey Thompson 33x14.50 15s and put on it. Before with stock tires I could run 65 70 when I put the 33s on it I could run 45 50 then anything faster it would start to shake and it got worse. Some of the tires where going bad so I got a set of 35 12.50s and its only gotten worse. I replaced the passenger tie rod end and it helped a lil bit and I just got the tie rod ends for the driver side. If that doesn't help what else could it be? Steering stabilizer?
Old 12-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Did you replace your track bar bushings ? And have the tires balanced
Old 12-17-2011, 11:09 PM

No I haven't yet and yes the tires have been balanced
Old 12-17-2011, 11:55 PM

Would the track bar bushings cause it to shake that bad?
Old 12-18-2011, 12:45 AM

i had death wobble and i changed out all the bushings and tie rod ends bearings and seals just to come and find out i had a bad gearbox, if your having to add ps fluid on a reg u might have a bad one too. good luck!
Old 12-18-2011, 06:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by BIGCOOK
Would the track bar bushings cause it to shake that bad?
Yes, yes and yes. The track bar is one of the most common root causes of death wobble. If there is ANY play, replace it! But there are lots of causes.
Here is more.
--------------------------
My understanding of “death wobble” is this. Somewhere in the vehicle, one or more components is worn beyond tolerances, and when oscillation initiates from a suspension “traumatic” event (hitting a bump or a pothole) or also when a vibration reaches a certain point and harmonic at a certain speed, it causes the other components to react. This is called the “multiplier effect”, where one component affects one or more other components as the event travels through the front end of the vehicle.

Death wobble is not uncommon with the XJ. It is even more common with a lifted XJ. Finding the worn component or components is not always easy. It can sometimes be downright difficult. Sometimes it’s obvious, other times everything appears to be okay when you perform an inspection on a hoist, but getting the vehicle up in the air and going over everything with a fine tough comb is always a good first step. It is very helpful if you know exactly how to perform a comprehensive inspection of every single front end part, looking for abnormal wear and or play in that hardware. If you do not know how to do this type of inspection, pay an experienced professional to do it. Be sure to ask them if they are familiar with “death wobble”, as not all technicians are versed in this…..

Check out the below link if you would like some extensive reading on “death wobble” causes and cures. From my research, Kevin (the author of this tutorial) is possibly the best in the business with tracking down root cause of death wobble. He does offer hardware for sale that can help resolve death wobble, but even if you don’t buy any parts from him, you can still get some excellent ideas on what to look at in resolving your death wobble.

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/how-to-...-death-wobble/

Possible causes of death wobble are listed below. Isolating death wobble is a process of elimination and the root cause is not always obvious and it can often be caused by a combination of things!
--------------------------------------------------------
-Front tires out of balance (try swapping fronts to rear; see if symptoms change)
-Tire pressure. Don’t laugh. It’s not a root cause but can exaggerate the problem. Experiment with lower tire pressure to see if it helps
-Improper lug nut torque on wheels
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar (check for play!!)
-Bad control arms and associated bushings
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer (not generally a cause in and by itself)
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box loose
-Bad front hub assembly
Old 12-18-2011, 08:17 AM

I'm getting ready to change the driver side tie rod ends. I got under it yesterday and I can grab the tie rod and move it back and forth. Its not hard to move it at all and by the way NEVER buy an Air tec fuel pump because I'm bout to pull mine out in Advance's parking lot and take it in to them
Old 12-18-2011, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

Replace each and every component with play. Any play in any part can start "death wobble".

If those tie rods don't fix the condition, replace that track bar as you mentioned it has play. A tight track bar is essential.

Oh, and I'm sorry to hear that you became a member of the Airtex fuel pump club. Lots of members. They continue to mfg. absolute crap, even though they've known about reliability with XJ pumps for a long time. At one time, I had two "back to back" Airtex fuel pump failures. The first one worked for about a week and then started howling like a jet airliner and failed catastrophically. I got another one under warranty and that one worked for about three months!!! I will never install, nor will I recommend any Airtex products. I specifically seek out Bosch fuel pumps. Carter are okay too.

Last edited by tjwalker; 12-18-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:41 AM

Yeah I haven't had it a month and its got to the point where I hear it over my Jeep and my Jeep has the exhaust cut off. It had a Bosch fuel pump in it but I changed it Jus in case it was bad. But airtex sucks never again will I get one from them
Old 12-18-2011, 09:42 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 98 4.0 I6

yeah those cruddy ole airtex claimed another victim....
Old 12-18-2011, 10:16 AM

Yeah but they won't get me again
Old 12-19-2011, 02:07 PM

The tie rod ends fixed it. No more death wobbles now
Old 12-19-2011, 05:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BIGCOOK
The tie rod ends fixed it. No more death wobbles now
Excellent; thanks for checking back. Not everyone has such a quick troubleshooting period with death wobble as you did!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:12 AM

Yeah I know, thank all of y'all for the inputs guys. Y'all helped me out a lot
Old 12-20-2011, 07:43 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 98 4.0 I6

yeah im looking at some new tres and hoping thats my cure as well

Quick Reply: Death Wobbles