Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Death wabble update 89 cherokee popping

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 03:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default Death wabble update 89 cherokee popping

Well it seems like I have not noticed the death wabble after replacing the steering box.

However it has been a week and I notice this popping like noise almost like what I noticed before it is back it seems.

When I turn towards the left even if I am barely moving I notice this pop sound I hit a bump and sometimes its like 3 pops one after the other it seems like.

If you have been following my posts I have replaced a few things in the front end and still it isn't perfect the replacement steering box even appears to have some play now of course my options with that are limited.

I could a try to adjust it myself or b I could try to take the box back out and send it back pay shipping which is a lot of work also if I make any kind of adjustment myself it voids any warranty.

So now I have this pop almost like I have had for several years and putting in the new box did not fix that
Old 05-26-2017, 05:58 AM

and I thought the Jeep death wobble was a Wrangler issue!
Old 05-26-2017, 07:51 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Have you put a wrench/socket on the track bar bracket to frame bolts?
Old 05-26-2017, 12:12 PM

replace trac bar
Old 05-26-2017, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by 96er
replace trac bar
Irresponsible posting

Ya know, we're here to help folks solve their issues.

We're NOT here to spread BS and untruths that could possibly waste another member's time, money, and resources.

Not only do uninformed and irresponsible posts like that cause possible grief to the original posters, it wastes the time of others who have to correct the information.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cruiser54

I second this. The pop could be your ball joints (haven't checked the list of what you've done) but the track bar to frame bolt is another likely culprit. The easiest way to find the source of the popping noise is to get under your Jeep while someone else cranks the wheel back and forth. Look for other loose or floppy stuff while you're down there.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Well just to freshen up everyone I have replaced the track bar twice since I owned it once was about 2 months ago the garage said it was tight .

He mentioned something about a casel nut and checking it in a few months I then asked if the mount hole appeared it was warped or wallod out he said no it did not appear to be he claimed that everything seemed fairly tight.

I still had the death wabble after that

So I figured id have the control arms replaced as that was suggested on here to try plus they were warn and rusted out.

I have done a lot of work on the front end just had the sway bar off the bushings aren't bad at all I had the garage try and tell me to look into that.

The only thing I have not done is replaced the front shocks in 5-6 years and the coil springs are original factory ones don't know how critical replacing all of that at this time is as that might not be the actually problem it might help .

As for ball joints ive had those replaced a few years ago.

Infact before I noticed the bad steering box I checked to see if anything else had play jacked up one side my dad took a 2x4 and rocked the wheel around did it to both sides did not feel any wheel bearing play or anything.

The pop sounds like its coming from the drivers side but could be a trick I am unsure.

If I guess long enough some garage might get another 1000$ out of me unless I do some of the work myself

The jeep so far feels tighter over bumps and no wabble just this annoying pop
Old 05-27-2017, 03:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I asked the garage guy and he said everything was tight but I have not inspected myself he could have lied it could be possiable the person just installed the track bar and tightened it down and called it good I mean it had been replaced once so it wasn't that hard I imagine

I only spent 40$ on the repair they might not have went the extra mile im just going by what the mechanic guy said and the last time I looked at the track
bar

it did not appear to be moving around keep in mind I checked for play and saw the steering hence replaced the box
Old 05-27-2017, 08:30 AM

Check the track bar bracket to frame bolts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Originally Posted by Maverickjk
and I thought the Jeep death wobble was a Wrangler issue!
WJ's too
Old 05-27-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Originally Posted by 4wheeldrivenewbie
Well just to freshen up everyone I have replaced the track bar twice since I owned it once was about 2 months ago the garage said it was tight .

He mentioned something about a casel nut and checking it in a few months I then asked if the mount hole appeared it was warped or wallod out he said no it did not appear to be he claimed that everything seemed fairly tight.

I still had the death wabble after that

So I figured id have the control arms replaced as that was suggested on here to try plus they were warn and rusted out.

I have done a lot of work on the front end just had the sway bar off the bushings aren't bad at all I had the garage try and tell me to look into that.

The only thing I have not done is replaced the front shocks in 5-6 years and the coil springs are original factory ones don't know how critical replacing all of that at this time is as that might not be the actually problem it might help .

As for ball joints ive had those replaced a few years ago.

Infact before I noticed the bad steering box I checked to see if anything else had play jacked up one side my dad took a 2x4 and rocked the wheel around did it to both sides did not feel any wheel bearing play or anything.

The pop sounds like its coming from the drivers side but could be a trick I am unsure.

If I guess long enough some garage might get another 1000$ out of me unless I do some of the work myself

The jeep so far feels tighter over bumps and no wabble just this annoying pop
Popping in my experience has been ball joints. You said you replaced them a few years ago. Depending on mileage and quality of the ball joint, you may want to not rule them out just yet. You could also check tie rod ends

Last edited by rgr4475; 05-27-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:16 PM
Seasoned Member

ok well what i just tryed is i went out grabbed the sway bar and went up and down with it did not hear anything so then i went and looked at the track bar its not moving near the bracket and the bracket looks solid to the frame.

Last things i did was rock the car side 2 side and i did not notice the noise then i went in the front of the car and i put my knee on the bumper on the left and bounced the car up and down and then did the same on drivers side what i noticed is that on the drivers side it was making a noise similar to the pop when i rocked it up and down
Old 05-27-2017, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 4wheeldrivenewbie
ok well what i just tryed is i went out grabbed the sway bar and went up and down with it did not hear anything so then i went and looked at the track bar its not moving near the bracket and the bracket looks solid to the frame.

Last things i did was rock the car side 2 side and i did not notice the noise then i went in the front of the car and i put my knee on the bumper on the left and bounced the car up and down and then did the same on drivers side what i noticed is that on the drivers side it was making a noise similar to the pop when i rocked it up and down
looking at the track bar bolts doesn't ensure they are tight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2017, 11:08 PM
Seasoned Member

there should be 2 bolts right? i can go under there and check the torque of them is there a spec cruiser
Old 05-27-2017, 11:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

when you replaced the track bar did the bolt tighten ALL the way up? my track bar bolt wasnt in all the way due to ruined threads solution was to put a few washers to get a good bite on the bolt and threads then use an air gun and tightened it have someone steer it while you look at the track bar if it moves you either reamed out the bolt hole it it simply isnt all the way tight as mine always popped and clunked when it was loose it may feel tight because theres alot of pressure putting it back on i just had someone wiggle the wheel back and forth till the bolt went in all the way and then tightened it. pita as i had everything all nice and dandy even aligned the steering to be centered only to have it pull out of the drive way and CLUNK... you mother