Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

The Dealership story

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default The Dealership story

recently had a/c serviced (freon flush and fill), when that didn't work I returned for more work. I had them do their suggested evap core, rear main seal as suggested, trans flush and fill and gasket, coolant flush and fill and gasket, upper and lower radiator hose, water pump, oil pan gasket and rear diff flush and fill and gasket.

-------------------------------------

11 days passed weekends included since they are open weekends

evap core still needs thermistor jeep p/n 55035503 possibly not their fault, maybe it was faulty, maybe they broke it, maybe they "reused" it in another application.

blew a front transmission line on the way home (they hooked me up with a free one when AAA towed me back that same day)

serpentine belt was loose (they fixed that same day)

---------------------------------------

just rechecked their work and fixed...

negative terminal was loose

Distributor cap loose both eighth of a turn

transmission fluid was overfilled (I can see an excuse for that with the blowout "maybe")

oil was overfilled

oil pan bolts loose I tightened 1/8 of a turn each although double nutted bolts were completely loose that hold some lines to the transmission (maybe another excuse for that)

oil drain plug was on real tight close to the point of stripping pan threads

radiator was not properly filled by letting it run with the heat on blast

left my hvac light hanging in the center air vent instead of behind hvac controller (maybe not their fault since I did break the clip, but that just shows a lack of attention to detail and lack of commitment to excellence)

-----------------------------

Still have an oil leak in the same spot on the front of transmission. done the valve cover gasket need to replace the grommets though (could be the culprit will update eventually), did the oil filter adapter o-rings, had the rear main seal and oil pan gasket done by dealership.

Now I have a small coolant leak that drips the same rate as the rear main seal. I think I might just have to live with those at the expense of all driveways.

I can also hear a vacuum leak some where near the passenger firewall somewhere around the heater control valve. Could use some help with that please and thanks

They attached a paper with my receipt that says my XJ is worth 1000 toward a KL.

Last edited by crabmushrooms5; 06-21-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

I'm not sure what your saying?

Crappy work by a dealership? No one on the Forum will be surprised at that. No dealer will ever touch my XJ and I'm unsure why anyone would ever go to a dealer for work.

Oil drip is okay but I wouldn't delay fixing the coolant leak. It can get bigger real quick.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you paid the dealership a lot of money to do simple routine maintenance, and now you are giving them excuses when they created more issues than you started with? I assume you are a very busy person that cannot be bothered to maintain your own vehicle and that is why you paid someone else to do it. You might want to consider doing your own work in the future, or getting a newer vehicle. You will have a lot more money into a 2 decade old jeep before you know it at this rate.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:27 PM

Just sprayed off my engine and we will see what part of my rant will hold true.

I was busy at the time attending an 8 week class and working 40 so yes.

Tried the oil pan gasket before got it loose but couldn't get it out.

I have been to other shops for things that I could not do myself such as remove a seized eye bolt for my leaf spring that I could not get done and another shop for charging my ac compressor, both let me down and the other shops around me look very less than reputable. Now I am certain that nobody loves my XJ as much as I do.

I plan on DIY'n from now on and have plans to find another daily driver.

Last edited by crabmushrooms5; 06-18-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Pelican
........Oil drip is okay but I wouldn't delay fixing the coolant leak. It can get bigger real quick.
X1000........and that coolant that leaks out is replaced by air when the motor cools....not good, especially since summer hasn't even started yet and the last thing u want to do is cut corners on the XJ cooling system.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:31 PM

For future reference of anybody who searches, the dealership is just that, a dealership. First time I really went to a dealership for any service and would not recommend them even for a sale, maybe a part. Find a mechanic you know or do it yourself.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

I hate to say it but that is common sense. You never take your vehicle to a dealer for repairs unless it is under warranty or for a recall repair.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not surprised. Most people don't care for your vehicle the way you would. Dealerships advertise themselves as the place who knows your car or truck the best and has the most highly trained technicians. From my experience the service is usually sub-par and the price is double.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I've always taken care of my family's and GF's issues. Man, the stuff I find if somebody needed to go to a shop while I was out of town! All I might suggest is find a small independent shop, somewhere where the guy you meet is the guy actually doing the work. Shops with workers stressen to meet time quota's and such, behind closed doors will do really stupid things. (assuming no one will notice).

And yea, that pan can be a real *****. You might find that hiss with a section of tubing held to your ear....

Last edited by DFlintstone; 06-18-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by crabmushrooms5
Just sprayed off my engine and we will see what part of my rant will hold true.
Just ran it down the street and let it sit. No leaks except for a b line straight from the middle of the rear main seal area. When I find time to trace it, might attack it head on, might just live with it. Glad I didn't see any coolant leak!

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
I've always taken care of my family's and GF's issues. Man, the stuff I find if somebody needed to go to a shop while I was out of town! All I might suggest is find a small independent shop, somewhere where the guy you meet is the guy actually doing the work. Shops with workers stressen to meet time quota's and such, behind closed doors will do really stupid things. (assuming no one will notice).

And yea, that pan can be a real *****. You might find that hiss with a section of tubing held to your ear....
Will try that tubing. Read it in Hayne's to do that too. Me and Hayne's gonna get it right.

Originally Posted by rnmcguire
Not surprised. Most people don't care for your vehicle the way you would. Dealerships advertise themselves as the place who knows your car or truck the best and has the most highly trained technicians. From my experience the service is usually sub-par and the price is double.
I was under that impression but no longer will be.

Last edited by crabmushrooms5; 06-18-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Today, you won't find many, if any, mechanics at dealership service centers that know anything about Cherokkee XJ's. All they have been schooled on is the late model vehicles.

They probably got rid of the old FSM's years ago and refer to Chilton or Haynes manual to do the repairs.

Butchers.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
Today, you won't find many, if any, mechanics at dealership service centers that know anything about Cherokee XJ's. All they have been schooled on is the late model vehicles.

They probably got rid of the old FSM's years ago and refer to Chilton or Haynes manual to do the repairs.

Butchers.
Figured it was something like that. Out with the age and experience in with the university of Pheonix
Old 06-20-2014, 01:10 PM

Traced the vacuum leak sputter sound to the last spark plug #6. I can hear the sound and feel the pulse, both when on. When I press the plug it stops. Will check it and update.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000

I'm afraid to even ask how much you paid for all that work. Evap core and rear main seal work alone should have set you back several hundred just for labor alone. All in all I'm guessing you paid a lot more than the car is worth. And as said before, nowadays most if not all of the dealership mechanics work on late model Jeeps and even then most of that work is warranty work which the owner doesn't even know about the cost.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:19 PM

#6 spark plug lose 3/4 of a turn.

Originally Posted by Kalali
I'm afraid to even ask how much you paid for all that work.
I paid them way more than a prostitute to fill in the blank. I have paid none until I visited the dealership.

Last edited by crabmushrooms5; 06-20-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Quick Reply: The Dealership story