Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Day one of susp/driveline overhaul...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L in all
Default Day one of susp/driveline overhaul...

Day 1:

98 XJ:1
Me: 0

I snapped 2 bolts that hold my LF wheel bearing assy., can't get the bearing to come out, and hence, nor can I get the axle out to get at the U's.

Anyone got any lil slick tricks to get that thing to separate?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I'm assuming you got out the third bolt?
Do you have access to liquid wrench AKA an oxy acetylene torch?
I had to heat up the bearing housing. Not red hot if you are going to use it again but really hot. then a BFH You know a big &*$%#@ hammer.
The bolts are a grade 8. very strong!!!! they were $13 at the stealership but I've read on here where some guys have been able to get grade 8 bolts. When you are done the ujoints be sure to use a lot of never sieze (antisieze, whatever you want to call it) so when you need to replace something again you'll be very glad you did.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy3
Day 1:

98 XJ:1
Me: 0

I snapped 2 bolts that hold my LF wheel bearing assy., can't get the bearing to come out, and hence, nor can I get the axle out to get at the U's.

Anyone got any lil slick tricks to get that thing to separate?
In that case Im 0 and 1 too. I could not get the axle nut to break loose. The hub bolts Im going to cut off as I have a new hub assembly so dont need the old one.

Here is my problem child, https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/axl...k-loose-26119/

Try this, http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unit...tbearing-1.htm

Last edited by UserID6095; 10-12-2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Might help if I give you working links
Old 10-12-2009, 05:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Cool tips! In my professional life as a mechanic there has been more than one occasion when I've had to heat an axle nut to RED HOT status to get it off and not damaged the temper of the spindle shaft. It's not to be taken lightly and just apply the torch to anything that won't budge BUT if you are really careful and quick it shouldn't hurt it. I have a friend who owns the largest flame hardening business in Canada and his advice is to let things cool naturally. DO NOT take a wet rag or douse with water. If you can replace the nut. Remember to install it with lots of antisieze.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie57
Cool tips! In my professional life as a mechanic there has been more than one occasion when I've had to heat an axle nut to RED HOT status to get it off and not damaged the temper of the spindle shaft. It's not to be taken lightly and just apply the torch to anything that won't budge BUT if you are really careful and quick it shouldn't hurt it. I have a friend who owns the largest flame hardening business in Canada and his advice is to let things cool naturally. DO NOT take a wet rag or douse with water. If you can replace the nut. Remember to install it with lots of antisieze.
I have to try the heat method. I did put a propane torch to it but I was not trying to effect the heat properties of the axle so I may not have used enough. This weekend is my round two.