Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dash removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Default Dash removal

Is there any easy way to remove the dash and all the plastic up front? I was trying to run some wires cleanly and hoping to put them under the dash plastics if possible. Not so good at searching on here so that's why in posting. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

What year you got?

Try youtubing xxxx year dash removal.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:07 PM

Sorry forgot to put that. It's a 98
Old 03-03-2014, 10:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

I'm pretty sure you are not going to want to remove the dash just to run some wires!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:39 PM

I like to see how thins work to. Take things apart and put them back together you know? Of its gonna be too hard or if I may break something I won't but I thought id try
Old 03-03-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Didn't mean to be negative but removing the entire dash is one of the least fun jobs you can do on an XJ. More dificult on later models but you can decide after a search and some youtube views.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:59 PM

It's all good. Gonna check out some YouTube videos tonight and see what I think. Still want to give it a try though haha
Old 03-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 Liter

Originally Posted by Pelican
Didn't mean to be negative but removing the entire dash is one of the least fun jobs you can do on an XJ. More dificult on later models but you can decide after a search and some youtube views.
Exactly. Extremely labor intensive just to run some wires. I believe(Not sure because I have an earlier model) that you can just take off the bottom of the dash like the older models? You can still make it clean without removing the entire dash, I've ran speaker wires, cb wires, various antenna wires, and amp wires all over under the dash. I use zip ties and I wrap the wires together in a bundle to keep them neat, and I think it looks professional, under the dash can be a tight squeeze, sometimes you'll have to fish wires through with some wire but it's not hard!
Old 03-03-2014, 11:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ThatDude114
Exactly. Extremely labor intensive just to run some wires. I believe(Not sure because I have an earlier model) that you can just take off the bottom of the dash like the older models? You can still make it clean without removing the entire dash, I've ran speaker wires, cb wires, various antenna wires, and amp wires all over under the dash. I use zip ties and I wrap the wires together in a bundle to keep them neat, and I think it looks professional, under the dash can be a tight squeeze, sometimes you'll have to fish wires through with some wire but it's not hard!
I doubt he's talking about the entire dash. According to his profile he has a 1998--you should learn to look for that info.

Removing the front of the dash / trim pieces is easy. The bezel around the center section with the radio, HVAC, etc. just pops right off. Then, there are 4 black screws holding the part around the instrument panel in. 3 screws for the HVAC area. The hardest part is either popping the headlight switch through the hole, or popping it free (I hear there's a little button underneath). I myself wouldn't hesitate to remove dash sections for a clean wiring job. Good luck! (There is a good YouTube video, too--just too lazy to find it for ya!)
Old 03-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty

I doubt he's talking about the entire dash. According to his profile he has a 1998--you should learn to look for that info.

Removing the front of the dash / trim pieces is easy. The bezel around the center section with the radio, HVAC, etc. just pops right off. Then, there are 4 black screws holding the part around the instrument panel in. 3 screws for the HVAC area. The hardest part is either popping the headlight switch through the hole, or popping it free (I hear there's a little button underneath). I myself wouldn't hesitate to remove dash sections for a clean wiring job. Good luck! (There is a good YouTube video, too--just too lazy to find it for ya!)
I know he has a 98. I was saying that I have a pre-97 so I didnt know if the lower dash paneling could be removed like in the earlier models.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ThatDude114
I know he has a 98. I was saying that I have a pre-97 so I didnt know if the lower dash paneling could be removed like in the earlier models.
Learn something new here every day
Old 03-04-2014, 01:44 AM

Basically what I was looking for. Started to take part of it apart but didn't want to break anything so I stopped. And yeah I have CB wires and wires for lights right now that look tacky in my mind. Gonna have to wait till the weekend to do it. But YouTube definitely helps
Old 03-04-2014, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by Matts Jeep
I like to see how thins work to. Take things apart and put them back together you know? Of its gonna be too hard or if I may break something I won't but I thought id try
Nothing wrong with that man. It's the best way to learn imo.
I used to just take mine apart and fix things as I came across but that's when I had way to much time on my hands. lol
Old 03-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Matts Jeep
Basically what I was looking for. Started to take part of it apart but didn't want to break anything so I stopped. And yeah I have CB wires and wires for lights right now that look tacky in my mind. Gonna have to wait till the weekend to do it. But YouTube definitely helps
Don't forget that if you have extra coax cable from the antenna its best to wrap it up in a figure 8 shape to minimize interference! Good luck, and don't forget to update with pics once you're done
Old 03-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Here is for future reference

Quick Reply: Dash removal