Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

dangerous Wobble when driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001&1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default dangerous Wobble when driving

So I have a 93 Xj. And when I bought it I didn't realize it shook so much til it goes 55mph + and when I mean shake it feels like the whole jeep's wheels are about to shake out of this truck. I hear this is a very common problem for the older XJ "the death Wobble" where do I start the fixing?

2nd I'm going to change the radiator but how do you remove the oil line from the radiator?

Please CF let me know what your input is on fixing my Wobble issue
Thanks
Tony
Old 05-13-2010, 12:36 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

Originally Posted by nyaristo
So I have a 93 Xj. And when I bought it I didn't realize it shook so much til it goes 55mph + and when I mean shake it feels like the whole jeep's wheels are about to shake out of this truck. I hear this is a very common problem for the older XJ "the death Wobble" where do I start the fixing?
What are the specs on your XJ, how much lift, if lifted still stock control arms? there are lots of factors that create the Death Wobble. sometimes its just an alignment or wheel balancing, other times it requires much more. How long have you had it?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:40 AM

Sorry for that but its stock suspension n I did put 98 wheels on them with out even balancing the tires could that be the problem? But it shakes so bad n its all over
Old 05-13-2010, 01:05 AM

hmm, well I don't hear much about death wobble with stock suspension, if it were me I'd get my wheels balanced. did you mount them yourself of buy them with tires and just stick them on? It could maybe be a bad bearing, but i've never dealt with those and i'm pretty sure mine are stock and i've got a 93 also
Old 05-13-2010, 01:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Most of the time you get DW on stock suspension its worn ball joints or tires aren't balanced, whether it be mud stuck to them or just need new weights after some were ripped off. Otherwise i'd guess its TREs
Old 05-13-2010, 01:13 AM

Thanks it has to be the tires then cuz I just threw them on with out even balancing I'm not even sure if there even on the right sides or so but I will go tomorrow and get them balanced so thanks for the input

Will let everyone know the outcome for further issues from any1 else's prob.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by nyaristo
Thanks it has to be the tires then cuz I just threw them on with out even balancing I'm not even sure if there even on the right sides or so but I will go tomorrow and get them balanced so thanks for the input

Will let everyone know the outcome for further issues from any1 else's prob.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:54 AM

Year: 1992

before i lifted my jeep it happened and found out when i bought the jeep the guy put all new tires on with out a balance, got the tires balanced and it was nice smooth jeep ride
Old 05-13-2010, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

usually if the tires are on rims, they were balanced. most shops balance them on a machine. so it doesn't matter what vehicle they are put on, they are balanced.

your problem is most likely worn out suspension parts. simply stop by an alignment shop, they will look the whole thing over and let you know what's worn out. usually for free.

you can check everything yourself, but if you miss something, you won't figure it out.

but yes, unbalanced tires, worn shocks, uneven air pressure, even uneven tire wear will send you into a death wobble. and yes, the steering stabilizer can fix the problem at hand.
but get it looked at and go from there.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:55 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 liter In-line 6

I had my first (and hopefully only) run in with the dreaded Death Wobble yesterday. I just put on a budget lift, new leaf spring packs with more arch in the back and spacers up front, and I could feel it wanting to shake. I hit some gravel roads and a couple puddles for fun with a buddy.

On the way home, doing about 50 on a bend, downhill, I thought I was going to die the thing started shaking so bad. My buddy was following me and said he could see my front driver's tire shaking during the DW.

All of the bushings look stock (01 Sport), so I'm wondering if I should also heed the advice of go to an alignment shop and see what they say?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

taking it to an aligment shop is always the cheapest and easiest thing to do first, and get that out of the way.

gentlemen, read these links on DW, some great info

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/can...47/#post273822

http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthr...?p=911#post911
Old 05-17-2010, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by caged
usually if the tires are on rims, they were balanced. most shops balance them on a machine. so it doesn't matter what vehicle they are put on, they are balanced.
I bought a set of used american racing wheels from a guy for $75 (steal of a deal) and came with the tires on (I assumed they were balanced) so I put them on til I got my BFG AT's on but as soon as i put them on I got minor death wobble at higher speeds, but since I was getting my new tires soon, I didn't worry about it, well needless to say when I had my friend check the balancing it was way off.

I'm not saying this is always the case but in my instance it was.

What I learned from this, don't assume everything right when buying something used, make sure and check it out.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:48 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 liter In-line 6

Originally Posted by rweaver138
taking it to an aligment shop is always the cheapest and easiest thing to do first, and get that out of the way.

gentlemen, read these links on DW, some great info

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/can...47/#post273822

http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthr...?p=911#post911
Thanks for the links. Very informative. Going to the shop today.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Originally Posted by caged

your problem is most likely worn out suspension parts. simply stop by an alignment shop, they will look the whole thing over and let you know what's worn out. usually for free.

you can check everything yourself, but if you miss something, you won't figure it out.

but yes, unbalanced tires, worn shocks, uneven air pressure, even uneven tire wear will send you into a death wobble. and yes, the steering stabilizer can fix the problem at hand.
but get it looked at and go from there.
The steering stabilizer does not fix the problem, it merely covers it up.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

yeah yeah yeah, but that's basically what i was saying.

but seriously, every time this comes up, someone has to point out the stabilizer isn't needed. it is a part of the steering components installed by the manufacturer.

it is in everyone's best interest to use one, as it can reduce the chances of a serious crash that may result if one wasn't in place.

it does a job.

Quick Reply: dangerous Wobble when driving