Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dancing Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six
Default Dancing Speedometer

Hey guys,

Small problem, whenever driving around, my speedometer likes to jump around. Mainly when accelerating, it goes crazy. Also a couple other gauges are off. Gas gauge is twacked, I'll fill it up and it'll only read at 3/4 tank and never go above. Also, temp gauge sits at the line between 100 and 210, even when driving around for a couple hours on flat roads and highways and never goes above that (not because I have a spectacular cooling system, it's actually no good at all and I'm changing out everything soon here).

Do I need to do more besides change out the gauge cluster? Are there sensors that need changing?

I have a 96 xj with a 5" lift and 33" tires that I picked up a month ago
Old 10-14-2011, 12:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dunno bout the rest of ur issues, but my speedo would dance around like that for a couple days or so after wheeling thru deep water, and then start working fine.

i always figured it was just the speed sensor getting wet and then drying off so i never messed with it. but maybe yours is going bad
Old 10-14-2011, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: straight 6

i think your cable is taking a crap. make sure it's in the speedo and/or tx case tight, if so, replace cable.
possibly remove cable from speedo and drop some lube, graphite or whatever you can get down there. it might fix it too.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:35 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0
Default jumping speedo

My '01 did the same thing. Not sure if your year has the same speedo. My year does not have a cable, its electronic. Check at the trans output for a speed sensor. It will be pretty obvious if it's a cable housing or a wire from a sensor. If a sensor, replace it. If a cable, get a new one that's not old and stretched out. Good luck
Old 10-14-2011, 08:43 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 92

X2 on speedo sensor. My did the same thing and that was the problem ,had to replace it , it was 50 bucks and been fine so far
Old 10-14-2011, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Okay awesome. In the month I've had it, I haven't taken it wheeling cause I got a few issues I wanna fix first so it getting wet isn't the problem. I'll have to check the wiring and sensor itself then. Thanks guys
Old 01-15-2012, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

For anybody looking back for information on any symptoms such as mine listed above, my speedometer problems were caused by a faulty vehicle speed sensor (VSS). This sensor is plugged in the rear of my np231 transfer case in my 96. After replacing the sensor, the gauge now works perfectly again.

As far as my temperature gauge, the past owner was running without a freaking thermostat. Grrrrr. Replaced that and now the temp gauge works as it's supposed to

My fuel gauge hasn't been tackled yet since I learned that the fuel sending unit is located inside the pump itself. And I have no problems with the fuel pump so I've learned to live with the gauge being a click off
Old 01-16-2012, 05:02 AM

1996 does NOT have a cable driven speedo. It is electronic.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 287 Likes on 237 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
For anybody looking back for information on any symptoms such as mine listed above, my speedometer problems were caused by a faulty vehicle speed sensor (VSS). This sensor is plugged in the rear of my np231 transfer case in my 96. After replacing the sensor, the gauge now works perfectly again.

As far as my temperature gauge, the past owner was running without a freaking thermostat. Grrrrr. Replaced that and now the temp gauge works as it's supposed to

My fuel gauge hasn't been tackled yet since I learned that the fuel sending unit is located inside the pump itself. And I have no problems with the fuel pump so I've learned to live with the gauge being a click off

chances are that when the PO or a previous PO replaced the fuel pump, they bent the float slightly so now your reading at a false full.... all it takes is just pulling it back out and bending the float a little until you figure out whats accurate
Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy XJMJ

chances are that when the PO or a previous PO replaced the fuel pump, they bent the float slightly so now your reading at a false full.... all it takes is just pulling it back out and bending the float a little until you figure out whats accurate
Oooo I may have to do that. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 AM

Year: 88-87
Smile speedo

Originally Posted by bullheimer
i think your cable is taking a crap. make sure it's in the speedo and/or tx case tight, if so, replace cable.
possibly remove cable from speedo and drop some lube, graphite or whatever you can get down there. it might fix it too.
also remember SPEEDO GEAR IN GEAR BOX! IT'S PLASTIC!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:21 AM

Year: 88-87

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ

LOL
Old 01-16-2012, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dotyjeep
LOL
I fail to see the comedy in that... Please inform me? Haha
Old 01-16-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by dotyjeep
also remember SPEEDO GEAR IN GEAR BOX! IT'S PLASTIC!
THERE IS NO CABLE!

The speedo drive gear and driven gear are lubed by either t-case fluid or trans fluid.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by the buddmang

THERE IS NO CABLE!

The speedo drive gear and driven gear are lubed by either t-case fluid or trans fluid.
Yeah... Mine's in the tcase. Yours may be different though

Quick Reply: Dancing Speedometer