Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

dana 30 shaft upgrade with ABS

Old 07-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default dana 30 shaft upgrade with ABS

ABS is destroying my life again. I snapped my shaft in my d30 on my 99. want to upgrade to cromo / alloy shafts, and can't find any that will work with abs equiped cherokees. Any body know Anybody that makes these?

don't tell me to ditch abs cause its illegal. Highly doubt any of the rubicon tjs came with abs, but does anyone know any did, a d44 from one of those would be decent
Old 07-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Seasoned Member

my local off road shop has searched and called people for 2 days and found nothing. I guess you just can't have stronger axles with abs without making them yourself which doesn't sound like too much fund and not very economical.

next step, buy an xj that didn't come with abs so the state and I can both be happy
Old 07-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: Gone but not forgotten

Not quite sure where your looking but thier are alot of cromo's for the 30 out thier the abs ring is pushed off and on. let me know if you cant find any I can get them they run about $650.00 or so . Inners and outers.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Seasoned Member

i know there are plenty of chromos out there, I havent been able to find one made for abs. ...

If i understand you correctly though, some of them will accept the abs ring. I have to press it off of my old stub shaft and onto the new one? or in my case try to find another one cause it got destroyed when my shafts fought eachother and both lost. I just haven't found any literature on websites that stated that that could be done so I assumed it couldn't, and my shop failed too. If you know of companies that make them please let me know. thanks
Old 07-10-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.7

XJ4Life hit the nail on the head.

The old Alloy USAs (not the company owned by OMIX) had provision to install the tone ring. I've never pressed one on. Always use a bit of heat ... and let it slip on and then cool to a tight fit.

Can't remember about Yukon off the top of my head.

Joe
Old 07-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Seasoned Member

I contacted alloy usa friday, they said I can put the stock tone ring on their shafts. Now I just have to get to the jeep dealer and get the rings, Ill just keep the ring on my stock drivers side and use it as a spare that I will hopefully never need.

yukons are cheaper though, It would be nice to know if the rings will fit on them.

just wondering now, think I put tone rings on stock 97+ non abs axles, cause they are a dime a dozen at the jy and it might be worth giving the stockers one more shot for $60 before i got dropping 700 on alloys?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Default abs

What state do you live in? I put my 95 shafts in a 89 D30 and had to remove the abs rings in order for it to work. In which disabled the ABS thank GOD I hate that system. I am a service manager in a Tire Shop and we repair brakes all the time with the abs not work I do know its Illegal to shut the air bag off with out letting your Ins. Co. know
Old 07-13-2009, 01:55 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Why do you think it's illegal to get rid of the ABS? It's not.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Seasoned Member

I live in maine, and the law states that you can remove or disable an abs system from any vehicle that came with it from the factory. That was my interpretation, my inspection stations intepretation, the dude at the off road shops intepretation, and the trooper that I asked when he pulled me for my tires sticking out too fars intepretation. So I'm just assuming it has to stay there.

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/vehicle...spections.html

clicky, "click here to download a copy of motor vehicle inspection rules"

i guess the state just doesn't care that they made xjs without abs and i wish mine was one of them.

If im wrong, or they changed the law and I don't know about it tell me, i'd be delighted
Old 07-13-2009, 03:10 PM

So here is what it says...

(3) AntiLock Braking Systems: If the vehicle is equipped with
an ABS brake system, visually and manually inspect the
warning light.
(a) Reject vehicle if the warning light fails to illuminate
during the cycle or selfcheck,
or a self diagnostic
error is indicated.
(b) Reject vehicle if the ABS braking systems is
disconnected or disabled or removed.
Which says to me that as long as you remove the ABS system properly, and replace it with a properly working non-ABS system, and none of the idiot lights come on the dash, it doesn't really matter. It says "if the vehicle is equipped with an ABS system", so if you bring your XJ in to be inspected, and there isn't an ABS system on it, they don't have to make sure it works right.

Short answer... what they don't know won't hurt them...
Old 07-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Seasoned Member

werd, I highly doubt they will run the vin to find out if it has abs, if they don't see any evidence of it then they won't care. Right now i have it disabled and i pulled the fuse for the light. (tone ring is missing chunks so abs thinks im locked up and releives pressure so its pretty sketchy)

I'm at the point of just ditching the abs and seeing if it passes inspection. I doubt they will catch it and if they do I can always put it back in, just a PITA. hello 8.8, snorkel, and axel shafts
Old 07-14-2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by housew
werd, I highly doubt they will run the vin to find out if it has abs, if they don't see any evidence of it then they won't care. Right now i have it disabled and i pulled the fuse for the light. (tone ring is missing chunks so abs thinks im locked up and releives pressure so its pretty sketchy)

I'm at the point of just ditching the abs and seeing if it passes inspection. I doubt they will catch it and if they do I can always put it back in, just a PITA. hello 8.8, snorkel, and axel shafts
Heck, I would be really surprised if the VIN could even tell you if it had ABS. You'd probably have to contact Chrysler and get a build sheet on it for that.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Seasoned Member

i figgure if I do a a good job taking everything out then it will be pretty hard to tell that it ever had it. Its not standard so they won't be expecting it to be there, i don't think it will really be an issue. As long as I don't leave a tone ring hanging around or sensor wires floppin i figgure ill be just fine.

Probably take me a weekend to remove and figgure out the stupid fitting sizes and whatnot but i can get it done hopefully.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by housew
i figgure if I do a a good job taking everything out then it will be pretty hard to tell that it ever had it. Its not standard so they won't be expecting it to be there, i don't think it will really be an issue. As long as I don't leave a tone ring hanging around or sensor wires floppin i figgure ill be just fine.

Probably take me a weekend to remove and figgure out the stupid fitting sizes and whatnot but i can get it done hopefully.
I'm planning to do the same thing with mine. Fortunately here in VA they don't really care if it's supposed to be there or not, as long as the brakes stop the car.