Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cyclinder misfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cyclinder misfire

Alright so here we go again. Check engine light is on, on my jeep Cherokee limited 2001. It's reading cylinder misfire on cylinder 1 and 3. I only feel the problem in idle when I turn it back on in about 5-15 minutes after turning it off. Never more never less. Any suggestions on how to fix ?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like you are having heat soak issues that are common on those years of the XJ. here is some info to fix it

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/200...o-i-fix-59457/

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f6...fire-fix-9124/

or you could install some hood vents that seems to work too.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by 01xj21
I only feel the problem in idle when I turn it back on in about 5-15 minutes after turning it off.
If I understand you correctly, you're saying it doesn't do it when it's cold, only when it has been sitting 15 minutes after getting up to full operating temperature?

If so, that sounds like heat soak. It usually just happens on cylinder 3. What happens is that while the engine is running, fuel running through the injectors cools them. When you turn the motor off, heat from your exhaust manifold and catalytic converters rises up and heats up the fuel in the #3 injector. Since the fuel is not flowing, it just sits there and vaporizes, causing liquid fuel not to flow properly when you start up again. Let it cool down long enough, and the vaporized fuel condenses back to liquid, so you don't have the hard start and misfire.

There's actually a TSB on it, with parts to remedy it. Read this thread:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/heat-soak-230986/

Scroll down to Dumajones' post. It's just about the best post I've seen on this subject.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by extrashaky
If I understand you correctly, you're saying it doesn't do it when it's cold, only when it has been sitting 15 minutes after getting up to full operating temperature? If so, that sounds like heat soak. It usually just happens on cylinder 3. What happens is that while the engine is running, fuel running through the injectors cools them. When you turn the motor off, heat from your exhaust manifold and catalytic converters rises up and heats up the fuel in the #3 injector. Since the fuel is not flowing, it just sits there and vaporizes, causing liquid fuel not to flow properly when you start up again. Let it cool down long enough, and the vaporized fuel condenses back to liquid, so you don't have the hard start and misfire. There's actually a TSB on it, with parts to remedy it. Read this thread: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/heat-soak-230986/ Scroll down to Dumajones' post. It's just about the best post I've seen on this subject.

Do you know where I can buy the heat shield and heat tubing I need to fix this problem ?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Do you know where I can buy the heat shield and heat tubing I need to fix this problem ?
check this kit out:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17604_1031.htm

i have not used it myself, but have heard good things. I plan to use it in the future. My 2001 suffers for ol' heat soakage in the dog days of summer. I remember the first time I experienced it, I was coming out of a gas station after running in to grab a slushee. Turned the key and the damn thing spat and sputter like no one's business. 10-15 secs later it exhausted all the BS and began running properly.

cheers!

Last edited by CurrySoSpicy; 02-06-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

That Quadratec kit looks pretty slick, but I don't see a price on it. I wonder how much they charge for that.

If you look at Dumajones' post, he included the OEM part numbers. You can get them from just about any Mopar parts dealer. I plugged the numbers into Google and immediately found several sites that sell them. I also noticed both parts are sold on Ebay as well.

I'll leave it to you to click around Google and find the best price. Or just search the part numbers on Ebay and get them there.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by extrashaky
That Quadratec kit looks pretty slick, but I don't see a price on it. I wonder how much they charge for that.

If you look at Dumajones' post, he included the OEM part numbers. You can get them from just about any Mopar parts dealer. I plugged the numbers into Google and immediately found several sites that sell them. I also noticed both parts are sold on Ebay as well.

I'll leave it to you to click around Google and find the best price. Or just search the part numbers on Ebay and get them there.
60ish bucks