Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 XJ sputtered, died, wouldn't start, then starts again

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 XJ sputtered, died, wouldn't start, then starts again

I'm thinking it's a CPS problem but before throwing parts wanted to see everyone's thoughts.

I bought a 98 XJ a couple weeks ago for a play toy. I have a '85 CJ7 that I've restored and don't want to take in the woods etc.

Put 3" lift and 31" tires on it yesterday, and been out playing in the back yard all day today. Jeep has ran flawlessly since I bought it. 228K miles. Drove over to friend's house tonite to go play in his fields. Got out back of his house and Jeep started sputtering then died. We sat there for about 20-30 minutes trying to figure out what to do before he was going to walk back to his house to get his Jeep to tow me out (we were in the woods a ways) As he opened the door to get out to walk back, I tried it one last time. It fired right up as if nothing had went wrong and has ran flawlessly since.

Should I just assume CPS and get one and move on, or does anyone have a better idea?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It could be any number of things. I wouldn't assume the CPS unless you want to gamble money and time on lucky guesses.

No check engine light? No codes?

It could be a fuel pump that is on the way out, or a ignition coil that got unhappy when things got extra hot. Or if things did get too hot, it could have been fuel delivery problems related to "heat soak". When a cool down allows a successful restart, often heat related issues are suspect. And of course heat can lead to thermal failures of things like the CPS as well (temporary heat related failure). Did you have any temperature/cooling concerns while out there?

Since its a 98, do you have a OBD2 scanner available? if you have an android smartphone these can be had for as little as $25, and are really nice to have around.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No check engine light but I just got out my scanner and plugged in. P0320 engine speed input circuit so I guess its the CPS.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Most likely the crank sensor. Do yourself a big favor and seek out a genuine MOPAR crank sensor.

Aftermarket crankshaft position sensors are very "hit and miss" with a lot of miss. (that is my standard crank sensor disclaimer!)
Old 02-06-2017, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

X2 on getting Mopar. The aftermarket one didn't work and they won't take it back...