Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

custom 3 link

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default custom 3 link

so I'm currently running the teraflex long arm kit that has long lowers and short uppers. This is not the greatest design. The binding in my drive shaft when I flex is terrible. I'm going to be welding a mount on the long arm for the upper control arm to mount on. In a sense making a radius arm out of my current long arms. Now my question is what is the best side to have an upper on? I don't want to have a 4 link because of binding issues. I've seen three links mounted on both the driver and passenger side and I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on this. Photos will follow once i receive the bracket i ordered.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

You mean the Y link on one side. It eliminates the binding but isn't very strong, all the stress would concentrate on the two heims on the frame side. A better solution would be a third link upper CA mounted on the crossmember. For the moment you could just take one of the short UCA off to see how it handles.

Check out EndlessMtnFab's build thread:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...ch-snob-22774/
Old 10-06-2009, 06:06 PM

I have done that and it handles horribly compared to the 4 link and the whole reason im converting to the y link is the binding issues which removing one upper doesnt help with that when it comes to the drive shaft. I'm just curious as to whether mounting the UCA on the driver side or passenger side is better for any reason?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.7

It handles horribly because it wasn't designed to be modified like that.

It's one thing to bolt on someone else's kit ... as they have taken the time to engineer it (to whatever level they choose). For someone to just modify things without rhyme or reason is going to result in undesired handling characteristics.

With a radius arm design ... it really doesn't matter which side you put the arm on. In a 3 link ... there are arguments as to why you want it on the driver or passenger side.

Joe
Old 10-06-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMtnFab
It handles horribly because it wasn't designed to be modified like that.

It's one thing to bolt on someone else's kit ... as they have taken the time to engineer it (to whatever level they choose). For someone to just modify things without rhyme or reason is going to result in undesired handling characteristics.

With a radius arm design ... it really doesn't matter which side you put the arm on. In a 3 link ... there are arguments as to why you want it on the driver or passenger side.

Joe

I agree thats why i chose to not run one short upper and the long lowers. That won't work unless the upper is modified to be at least 70% the length of the lower. That's why im going for the radius arm three link. I just wanted to make sure there isn't one side over the other that the UCA should be placed on. It seems like it really doesn't matter unless your worried about the UCA contacting the drive shaft. Thanks your input tho. If anyone else has ideas or comments Id be glad to hear it.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

If I were you I would mount it to the drivers side upper control arm mount. But I am running a stock D30 HP in front and the drivers side UCA is stronger than the passengers side. Other than that I dont see a reason why one side would be more beneficial than the other if you make your own mounts.