Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cussing up a storm over motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Cussing up a storm over motor mounts

Im about ready to flip out on these motor mounts. I CANNOT, get these bloody things to line up. I have never had an issue before doing mounts and this is really ticking me off.

The mounts I am having an issue with are the Monster mounts from Ironman. I was able to get the pin into the front of the mount but there is no way to get the pin out the back. I bent a friggin hd alignment punch trying to get the ****ing thing in there. Now its jammed I cant get the ****er out.

I ended up loosening the other mount trying to get a little bit of room to get it aligned, No dice. Obviously Im not happy at all and stuck without a ride, boo hoo. I should have trimmed these bastards, but instead lubed them up and tried to sneak them on there, what a dumbass.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989

Great, this makes me NOT want to replace them lol
Old 02-12-2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by stockli
Im about ready to flip out on these motor mounts. I CANNOT, get these bloody things to line up. I have never had an issue before doing mounts and this is really ticking me off.

The mounts I am having an issue with are the Monster mounts from Ironman. I was able to get the pin into the front of the mount but there is no way to get the pin out the back. I bent a friggin hd alignment punch trying to get the ****ing thing in there. Now its jammed I cant get the ****er out.

I ended up loosening the other mount trying to get a little bit of room to get it aligned, No dice. Obviously Im not happy at all and stuck without a ride, boo hoo. I should have trimmed these bastards, but instead lubed them up and tried to sneak them on there, what a dumbass.
do they even line up? could they be a defective product?
Old 02-12-2012, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I've got a piece of wood helping hold the left on mine. I haven't gotten in to a Jeep one. (found plenty or others that didn't want to go though!). Can you loosen the mount bolts so all is loose to get the bolt through? Got pry bar/s to help "persuade" it? (line it up)
Old 02-12-2012, 08:26 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

Never done it on a jeep, new to this world, but maybe have to raise/lower trans to get things to square up. my.02
Old 02-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Replacing stock mounts literally takes 1 hour tops. If bolts are rusted tight maybe two. This is my fault for not grinding the ****er down.

If I have to pull the mount off the block and a bolt breaks I will hit the ****ing fan.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
Never done it on a jeep, new to this world, but maybe have to raise/lower trans to get things to square up. my.02
Been there. Problem is the sleeve was cut too long. Instead of grinding it down I lubed it up and thought it would work. now the sleeve is jammed up in the bracket. Im not looking forward to the passenger side even less room to work.

Honestly, Id rather replace the factory mounts twice a year than deal with this.

My own fault but still Im pissed like no other.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Can you pry it free and lift it enough to get an angle grinder in there?
Old 02-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
I've got a piece of wood helping hold the left on mine. I haven't gotten in to a Jeep one. (found plenty or others that didn't want to go though!). Can you loosen the mount bolts so all is loose to get the bolt through? Got pry bar/s to help "persuade" it? (line it up)
HAHAHA.
I went pry bar fantastic on that thing and its stuck like glue.
Man it looks like a god damn ape was in there with a pry bar.

Im pretty sure the issue is the size of the bushing sleeve. Tomorrow Im going ape fantastic on that thing and one of two things is going down... It fits or flies.

Worse comes to worse Ill pull the bracket of the block, put the mount in a vice and beat the ****er out of there.

Im going to give all you guys a tip on aftermarket mounts. Pull the bushings out and make sure the steel sleeve fits before you go any farther. At that point you can slap you old mount in there and either trim the sleeve or send it back.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I have the same problem when installing my browndog motor mount.

Use a ratchet strap but try pulling the end of the transfer case where it meets the rear driveshaft.

GL>
Old 02-12-2012, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 high output

yea when I did my brown dog mounts I had similar issues. the metal sleeve was a little tight lol. I figured i had tightened the bolt a little too much last time i did the mounts so that the sleeve didnt fit. I ended up using a long bolt with two nuts and stretching the ears a tiny bit so it would fit better.I did motor mounts twice the stock ones are def easier to put in but they also only lasted 3 months on my jeep. the brown dog ones are beef

prob doesn't need to be said but make sure your trans mount is loosened. raise and lower the motor to get that f$^%er lined up, pry bar behind the motor helps too. dont tighten the mounts till they are both in place. good luck man!

Last edited by xjheep92; 02-12-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Shes all set.

Had to grind down some polly on the driver side mount and gorilla bar the **** out of some stuff but she is in and the mounts made a huge difference.

Grind down the front of your polly bushings on the driver side and it will go together much easier.

The mounts are sweet and really well made, just plan on a wresting match when you put them in lol.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Former Sponsor

I don't know what brand mounts you were installing, but ....

As Botak found when he contacted us, the solution can be a simple as a ratchet strap. Unfortunately we can't predict which way a specific XJ is tweaked. That's why we strongly encourage our customers to call and let us know exactly what they're seeing....we can then talk them through the easy way to do it. This is also why our phones are usually forwarded after hours and weekends for tech assistance. Our tech assistance is part of our product.

FYI - Since we introduced the Cherokee XJ line of mounts in 2009, there should never be a reason to grind the sleeve or trim the bushing...or do any other type of modification to install our mounts.

Moderator - If this post is out of line, please delete it.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks Browndog.

I was installing Ironman mounts.

The issue was the notch sticking out on the engine side of the back of the bracket. The poly bushing was just too large (too round and thick) to bu pushed past this point. So we took a little off that part of the mount and popped her in.

That little piece sticks out pretty good but we got it all fixed up without a problem after that.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stockli
Thanks Browndog.

I was installing Ironman mounts.

The issue was the notch sticking out on the engine side of the back of the bracket. The poly bushing was just too large (too round and thick) to bu pushed past this point. So we took a little off that part of the mount and popped her in.

That little piece sticks out pretty good but we got it all fixed up without a problem after that.
Okay. We've never seen a pair if Iron Man Mounts. Our design slides in without trimming.

Quick Reply: Cussing up a storm over motor mounts