Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cruise Control Servo Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cruise Control Servo Rebuild?

Just picked up a bright red 1997 XJ Country package and am slowly getting back into wrenching on these things. It's been too long!

Currently the cruise control does not want to disengage completely. The light comes on, it sets properly, and I can increase speed using the button, but the cancel button does nothing and hitting the brake also does nothing. It's actually a bit scary... first time it did it to me I luckily had time to throw it in neutral and hit the key, then coast into a parking lot. Once there I yanked the cable back out of the servo to allow the throttle to close all the way.

To me this points to the servo and the throttle cable itself. I've never had one of these fail on me before, is this something that can be rebuilt? Has anyone here pulled one apart? Curious what to expect. It seems to be holding vacuum ok but maybe needs the cable greased or something... thanks in advance!
Old 02-25-2021, 03:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by LongLiveXJ
Just picked up a bright red 1997 XJ Country package and am slowly getting back into wrenching on these things. It's been too long!

Currently the cruise control does not want to disengage completely. The light comes on, it sets properly, and I can increase speed using the button, but the cancel button does nothing and hitting the brake also does nothing. It's actually a bit scary... first time it did it to me I luckily had time to throw it in neutral and hit the key, then coast into a parking lot. Once there I yanked the cable back out of the servo to allow the throttle to close all the way.

To me this points to the servo and the throttle cable itself. I've never had one of these fail on me before, is this something that can be rebuilt? Has anyone here pulled one apart? Curious what to expect. It seems to be holding vacuum ok but maybe needs the cable greased or something... thanks in advance!
I don't think there is much you can do.
I had an extra one and took it apart a bit.
The one thing I did see you could do was attach a different cable to it.

The cable attaches to it with a cotter pin that goes through both the cable and the little hole on the unit that you see in the last picture.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Thank You!

Those pictures helped a ton, I was able to determine the cable was at fault here. It was pretty stiff. Pulled it off the servo and was able to work it back and forth with some oil enough for the servo to be able to manipulate it. I think long term another cable is in order but for now cruise works again!