Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I broke what I think is my cruise cable connection

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I broke what I think is my cruise cable connection

Okay, my non mechanical butt, thanks to youtube, just swapped out the old, nasty injectors on my son's 92 XJ. Everything went without a hitch, except I literally broke something on my very first step. I was disconnecting the throttle cables and this dang, chintzy little plastic connector broke off. Is it the cruise control cable? By looking at the pictures can you tell me how to fix it? We drove it home without problems. It seemed to run about the same. I realize it needs a bunch of warm up periods to adjust itself. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kinch
Okay, my non mechanical butt, thanks to youtube, just swapped out the old, nasty injectors on my son's 92 XJ. Everything went without a hitch, except I literally broke something on my very first step. I was disconnecting the throttle cables and this dang, chintzy little plastic connector broke off. Is it the cruise control cable? By looking at the pictures can you tell me how to fix it? We drove it home without problems. It seemed to run about the same. I realize it needs a bunch of warm up periods to adjust itself. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:39 PM

Here's what the cable goes to.

This is what the cable goes to. <br/>
Old 06-19-2016, 10:48 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Note from DJ
Have a look at this W-site:
Jeep 4.0L Auto Transmission Throttle Valve Clip
http://www.shapeways.com/product/V9T...ionId=55648168
Old 06-19-2016, 10:55 PM

Hey that may work. Only thing I'm not sure how to get the old one off and the new one on. I may have to take another picture to illustrate how the plastic clip is attached to the cable.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:09 PM

Hey that may work. Only thing I'm not sure how to get the old one off and the new one on. I may have to take another picture to illustrate how the plastic clip is attached to the cable.

That's what appears when i slide the broken clip up the cable. The cable has kind of a crimped on, barrel shaped piece of metal that acts as a stopper, not allowing the plastic clip to slide off. <br/>
Old 06-20-2016, 01:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You crush and break the old plastic clip to remove it. The cable slides into the slot in the housing on the new clip, no need to remove the metal end.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
You crush and break the old plastic clip to remove it. The cable slides into the slot in the housing on the new clip, no need to remove the metal end.
Thanks for the help. So I can just replace the plastic connector. Now, where would I get one?
Old 06-22-2016, 03:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The link DJ provided above has them for $11
Old 06-22-2016, 04:41 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by djgrayxj
Note from DJ
Have a look at this W-site:
Jeep 4.0L Auto Transmission Throttle Valve Clip
http://www.shapeways.com/product/V9T...ionId=55648168
Perfect! I just ordered one for mine... broke a couple months ago and I've been using zip-ties since.

As was said, just crush the plastic that's currently on it (should be pretty brittle) with a pair of pliers and there is a groove in the new one to slide in it place. If not, you can always go to a bicycle shop and see if they'll crimp on a new stopper.

Thanks for the help. So I can just replace the plastic connector. Now, where would I get one?
lol... use the link. I just bought one myself.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Basslicks
Perfect! I just ordered one for mine... broke a couple months ago and I've been using zip-ties since.

As was said, just crush the plastic that's currently on it (should be pretty brittle) with a pair of pliers and there is a groove in the new one to slide in it place. If not, you can always go to a bicycle shop and see if they'll crimp on a new stopper.

lol... use the link. I just bought one myself.
Sorry, I got mixed up. I didn't see the groove on there until just now when I looked more closely at the picture. I just ordered one yesterday on ebay that is supposed to work. Got the link from a different jeep site. It's a connector for a GM transmission cable but it's supposed to work fine. If not I'll get one of these. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:43 AM

Here's actually what I ordered. A guy on another site said it worked perfectly for him. If it doesn't, I'll order the one you that's 3D printed.

Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401070302633?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 06-22-2016, 10:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Nobody wanted the solid platinum one for $9615.60?
Old 06-24-2016, 08:03 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by PNWjeeper
Nobody wanted the solid platinum one for $9615.60?
lol... for the "Flava Flav" level jeep.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:24 AM

Quick update. The one I ordered from ebay did NOT work. Way too short. It's an exact duplicate of my xj's transmission drop down connector, but will not work for the cruise connector.

I just ordered a connector from the link djgrayxj provided. Should have done that to begin with. I didn't waste much money but I wasted a bunch of time. Glad it was just the cruise control and not something vital.

Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: I broke what I think is my cruise cable connection