Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Creaking noises ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Creaking noises ...

New purchase, old XJ (1992 with 4" lift) daily driver, 2nd Jeep owned and a fan of the make. All seems well 2 weeks into it but I get a rubber on metal sounding binding noise coming from beneath. It seems to be random and occurs primarily once you get rolling (flat or on a hill ~ terrain doesn't matter) and ceases at speeds over 10 mph. I'm betting bushings from what I've read in the forums ... but thought I'd ask anyways. No noises on braking and nothing unusual occurring when the transmission shifts. Its just a binding, creaking noise ... reminds me of an old sail boat when the ropes tense up .. ha. Have physical bounced vehicle to no avail ... as in jump up n down on bumpers etc. It only occurs when vehicle is in motion (fwd or reverse). When the rain ceases I intend to jack n spin but as I am sitting here with 3 beers in me and it's past midnight I thought I'd peruse the forum. Ha. Any advice beforehand?

I should mention it has Ford rims on it ... as evident by the Ford logos. The thought has occurred to me that maybe spacers were used, no idea as yet, or if they would even make such noises ... given the chance.

Last edited by Aimless Rambler; 08-28-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:07 AM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

You're probably on the right track with bushings. Also, just for completeness, my seat mechanism has started creaking. You may want to make sure it's not just the seat that's creaking before you start replacing things.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:50 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Thanks for the advice! It is appreciated.

The seats creak to high heaven but I can pretty well differentiate that the sailboat noises are coming from beneath the vehicle, as the air conditioning does not work (no biggy to me) and rely on windows being cranked down to vent and prevent large scale personal stinkage (and keep social-like). It's more out of curiosity and in assurance that it's not a safety issue at present but I will attack it ... sometime in the future.

I usually try to eliminate all possibilities before running out and giving money away. Nothing looked too worn on examination but my suspicions are focused on the shackle bushings but not too certain. I was busy bleeding brakes and adjusting the rear drums in order to pass safety to give it much heed today. Plenty other things seem to need doing 1st ... ha.