Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Crank with spark and fuel but doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Crank with spark and fuel but doesn't start

Okay so I have a 1997 jeep Cherokee sport I bought it for $750 it ran when I bought it but had no brakes so I had it towed home. It had sat for three years prior to me buying it. Only has 50k miles. So when I was fixing things to get it on the road (simple things like new rockers brakes..etc.) the battery had died a few times whatever I was planning on getting a new one cause it had sat for so long. Went to move it one day and put the battery charger on it and my locks started flipping on and off. So I put a new battery in it and it ran. Moved it from where I was working on it out of the way. Two days later went to start it only cranked over. Injector rod has 40 psi but when I crank it it gets spark but spark plugs are dry. Asd fuses are not getting power when test light is on them but asd relay is good. Truss putting jumper to fuses still wouldn't start. So I'm lost and need some help. Any ideas would be helpful
Old 12-30-2017, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Crank no-start conditions basically require starting with basic testing for the following to rule them in/out:

1. Air Flow
2. Fuel Delivery
3. Presence/Quality of spark

You can youtube or google search "diagnose crank no start " for a ton of information on how to do each of these. The goal is usually to narrow down to one of these directions, to avoid wasting time looking all over the place randomly.

That fuel pressure you mentioned seems low, I thought it should be 49 psi +-5 on that vehicle. I could be mistaken. Even if it was correct, the fuel injectors may not be firing. Some people use starter fluid in the throttle body to see if the vehicle will sputter and start (and of course die once the starter fluid is burned up), which helps to indicate that a fuel delivery problem exists (injector pulse, pressure, pump, etc).

Have you cleaned up all of the battery and ground connections, after it sat for so long?
Old 12-30-2017, 10:26 PM

Need to get some starter fluid did try putting gas in the intake, but got nothing. I'm getting a good spark cleaned up my distributor cap. And terminals on it are also clean. I also put a new air filter in. My pressure on my injector rod wasn't actually tested cause I don't have the tool for it but I'm getting pressure there so that should be enough to fire. But can my asd relay have something to do with my injectors and my security system?
Old 12-30-2017, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Greenxj24
My pressure on my injector rod wasn't actually tested cause I don't have the tool for it but I'm getting pressure there so that should be enough to fire.
Borrow a fuel pressure tester (to test pressure at the "fuel rail") so you at least have some real data. Just guessing won't fix it and becomes quickly irritating.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:39 PM

Not an exact pressure isn't gunna make it not run though for some reason my injectors arnt giving fuel to my cylinders I don't know if that and my asd problem are related I would image but don't know how to test there. My codes on the dash are the normal 12 and 55 I plugged a diagnostic reader on it and it just told me my heater fan and O2 sensor were bad (things I already knew)
Old 12-30-2017, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

If it has factory security system, and you changed the battery, have you tried putting the key in the driver door and rotating it left-right fully 3 times? That old Jeep factory system would usually block starts after a battery replace. Worth trying to rule it out.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:39 PM

I can give that a try I did see a video of a zj and the passenger door tried that but I can definitely give that a shot thanks I'll be sure to update on that