Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cracked cylinder heads, 2000-1 Cherokees

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 02:51 PM
try

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Cracked cylinder heads, 2000-1 Cherokees

Soooo... the dreaded cracked head. My mom has a 2001 Cherokee, 4.0 L6. I am fairly positive it has a cracked head, as coolant is disappearing, and I looked through the oil cap and saw some green dots (green dye in her coolant) on top of the head. Also the oil pressure is low. We are going to have a compression test and leak down test performed for final confirmation. There was talk of improved cylinder heads available for her model in another thread I was reading, and I would appreciate some input on which are best, keeping in mind we are in west coast Canada, and therefore would appreciate a solution available here. Thanks for any and all help you folks can provide.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Clearwater Cylinder Heads out of Florida has an "improved" head design with thicker casting between the 3&4 cylinders, where the 0331 head is prone to cracking. It is a brand new casting and now re-manufactured or anything

https://www.cylinder-heads.com/cylin...ms-fits-99-07/

I would see what shipping to Canada looks like for one of those. Or find a 0720 head (or any of the other ones that will work with an 01 XJ), and have it rebuilt locally. My local shop only charges $60 to hot tank (clean) and magnaflux the cylinder heads last time I checked
Old 01-21-2018, 03:04 PM
try

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
Clearwater Cylinder Heads out of Florida has an "improved" head design with thicker casting between the 3&4 cylinders, where the 0331 head is prone to cracking. It is a brand new casting and now re-manufactured or anything

https://www.cylinder-heads.com/cylin...ms-fits-99-07/

I would see what shipping to Canada looks like for one of those. Or find a 0720 head (or any of the other ones that will work with an 01 XJ), and have it rebuilt locally. My local shop only charges $60 to hot tank (clean) and magnaflux the cylinder heads last time I checked
Thanks for this confirmation, I can purchase this head through Amazon of all places, $710 shipped to Canada.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

A new cylinder head won't save an irreparably damaged engine. Low oil pressure is indicative of badly scored cam bearings.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:20 PM
try

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
A new cylinder head won't save damaged engine. Low oil pressure is indicative of badly scored cam bearings.
This engine had an issue with cam position sensor at 115000kms, and the head was rebuilt. Of course, the fool who rebuilt it didn't get it pressure tested and magnafluxed. And as said the disappearing coolant (gallon every two weeks) is likely due to a cracked head, which will be confirmed by compression and leakdown tests. I appreciate your input however, and I'm wondering why the engine itself would be destroyed by scored cam bearings, which would be new in a complete replacement of cylinder head?
Old 01-21-2018, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

The 4.0 is OHV not OHC. Ethylene gylcol mixes with engine oil and forms an extremely corrosive sludge. In addition to plugging the oil pickup screen, this concoction eats the bearings then increasing clearances and finally low/no oil pressure.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by try
This engine had an issue with cam position sensor at 115000kms, and the head was rebuilt. Of course, the fool who rebuilt it didn't get it pressure tested and magnafluxed. And as said the disappearing coolant (gallon every two weeks) is likely due to a cracked head, which will be confirmed by compression and leakdown tests. I appreciate your input however, and I'm wondering why the engine itself would be destroyed by scored cam bearings, which would be new in a complete replacement of cylinder head?
Coolant + oil is a terrible lubricant, many of the bearing surfaces could be worn irreparably.

Generally if you have good oil pressure, your bearing surfaces should still be OK. Check for gouging and pitting on the bearings though, and you can always rebuild a bottom end alongside the car, and swap cylinder heads once the bottom end is built. The 4.0 is not an interference engine so I don't really see any harm in running the new cylinder head on a "clapped" out motor?

A few oil changes with Rotella T6 should clear out most of the brown sludge I would think
Old 01-21-2018, 03:48 PM
try

The 4.0 is OHV not OHC. Ethylene gylcol mixes with engine oil and forms an extremely corrosive sludge. This concoction eats the bearings then increasing clearances and finally low/no oil pressure.
Right. Understood. Forgetting this is cam in block design. Any estimate on how much mileage/hours of runtime are required to destroy the block? Or can one simply replace the cam and it's bearings?

Last edited by try; 01-21-2018 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Adding questions.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by try
I am fairly positive it has a cracked head, as coolant is disappearing, and I looked through the oil cap and saw some green dots (green dye in her coolant) on top of the head... We are going to have a compression test and leak down test performed for final confirmation.
If you're seeing coolant droplets on top of the head, you have confirmation. There's no other way for those green coolant drops to get there.

Originally Posted by try
And as said the disappearing coolant (gallon every two weeks) is likely due to a cracked head, which will be confirmed by compression and leakdown tests.
Except it may not. A leakdown test can tell you whether there's a crack to the combustion chamber. The 0331 crack often doesn't reach the combustion chamber but just allows transfer between coolant passages and the top of the head. So don't be surprised if the compression and leak down tests come back okay, but you still have a crack.

Originally Posted by try
Also the oil pressure is low.
How low is "low"? And have you verified that with a mechanical gauge?

The sending units on these things often fail to the low side, so there's always a possibility that the oil pressure is still okay. I'd verify it before sinking the time and money into replacing a bottom end that may not need it.

You might also see if the pressure comes up with a fresh oil change. The coolant in the oil itself can cause the pressure to drop. If you have had coolant in your oil, the bearings have no doubt been damaged, but maybe not to the point that you can't get tens of thousands of more miles out of it.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:44 PM
try

Coolant + oil is a terrible lubricant, many of the bearing surfaces could be worn irreparably.

Generally if you have good oil pressure, your bearing surfaces should still be OK. Check for gouging and pitting on the bearings though, and you can always rebuild a bottom end alongside the car, and swap cylinder heads once the bottom end is built. The 4.0 is not an interference engine so I don't really see any harm in running the new cylinder head on a "clapped" out motor?

A few oil changes with Rotella T6 should clear out most of the brown sludge I would think
What would be considered too low of oil pressure, indicating the worn bearings? And conversely, it should eat the crankshaft bearings as well, correct? And I'm assuming the block should be okay, assuming the bearings aren't completely eaten away?
Old 01-21-2018, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

How long has it been drinking coolant?

Low oil pressure is going to be 5 psi and under at hot idle, verified with a mechanical gauge (remove the factory one an use a mechanical or digital standalone gauge for an exact measurement). If you have 10+ psi at hot idle (and I mean hot, like after a 30 minute drive minimum) then you should be in OK shape to just slap a new head on there. The dash gauge is not really that accurate in my experience

Changing the bearings is going to involve pulling the motor, and honestly I would rather build or source another used shortblock and swap if you want to go that route.

I unfortunately don't think most parts stores rent an oil pressure test kit. They have fuel pressure, cylinder pressure, etc but not for oil pressure IIRC

Here is a cheap kit that would do the trick

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-21-2018, 08:52 PM
CF Veteran

Here is a cheap kit that would do the trick

https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-Eng...ure+gauge+test
500 psi?
This may be a better option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunpro-Gaug...kAAOSwHQ9Wa7~c
Old 01-21-2018, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Lol, I didn't look that closely

Definantelly find one that is 100 PSI or so
Old 01-22-2018, 12:51 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

500 psi?
This may be a better option:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunpro-Gaug...kAAOSwHQ9Wa7~c
That one is really made to mount under the dash, not to use as a testing gauge.

The simplest thing to do is to run down to your local Harbor Freight store and pick up one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...kit-62621.html

I have one and can attest that it works fine. It has a five and a half foot hose on it so that you can plug it in, drape it across to the driver's side and watch the dial as you crank the engine. Mine included the fitting that fits our sender gallery.

That kit used to cost $26. Now it appears they have dropped it to $22, which drops to less than $18 with the 20% off coupon in practically every coupon mailer on the planet (ValPak, Red Plum, etc.). Or you can sign up for their emails and get a coupon. Either way, you're not going to do any better for under $20.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by extrashaky
That one is really made to mount under the dash, not to use as a testing gauge.
Correct.
This gauge can and should be mounted on the dash to permanently replace the notoriously inaccurate factory one.

Quick Reply: Cracked cylinder heads, 2000-1 Cherokees