Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

CPS replaced, should I replace anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L
Default CPS replaced, should I replace anything else?

Recently my CPS went out and left me stranded on the side of the road. Not fun. I would like to do my best to keep this from happening again. Are there any other sensors or parts that I should just go ahead and change out to keep my Jeep running happy? Jeep has 135,000 miles and no sensors other than the CPS have been changed.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by GreenClassic
Recently my CPS went out and left me stranded on the side of the road. Not fun. I would like to do my best to keep this from happening again. Are there any other sensors or parts that I should just go ahead and change out to keep my Jeep running happy? Jeep has 135,000 miles and no sensors other than the CPS have been changed.
Not any that will strand you.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Well that depends. What brand of CPS did you replace it with?
I have been through 2 AZ CPS's in the past year. Picking up an OEM tomorrow.
If you bought anything other then factory, I suggest you return it and go to the dealer. They are the same price FYI
I got 205K out of my OEM.
Just my experience.
m
Old 01-17-2014, 12:00 AM
CF Veteran

I got a MOPAR CPS from the dealership. Which nicely was actually less expensive than the AutoZone alternative. Would've gotten the MOPAR part anyway even if it was more expensive.

I just read too many bad things on here about the generic auto part store CPS.

I love this forum! (It's how I knew to replace the CPS)
Old 01-17-2014, 12:01 AM
CF Veteran

Getting several from a junkyard would be better than stealership prices.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:04 AM
CF Veteran

True, but with sensors I don't like used. You never know how far from failure they are. I'd rather replace it once and be done with it.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:07 AM
CF Veteran

True, but with sensors I don't like used. You never know how far from failure they are. I'd rather replace it once and be done with it.
That's true with new ones also.

Edit Post: Actual prices for an cps are around $80. I did not mean to cause any problems sorry.
I was trying to make an exaggerated point.

Last edited by MonacaYankee; 03-05-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know that I'd change them necessarily, but CCKen says certain parts are now limited to dealer stock only, IIRC the CPS, TPS, some others? I'd be tempted to stock up on one each of the Mopar sensors before you can't get them anymore if you intend to keep the XJ for awhile. If you never need them there's Ebay
Old 01-17-2014, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

The dealer near me said they can still order the CPS, I went to one that already had one in stock, though. Who knows for how much longer, though.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:20 AM
CF Veteran

Little dramatic in here huh?
Old 01-17-2014, 07:19 AM

70 bucks at my local dealer...
Old 01-17-2014, 07:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000

If you really want to be on the safe side, have some spare fuses and relays stashed in the glove compartment. I think other sensors like TPS, MAP, and cam position failures are not fatal and will allow you to stumble your way to the nearest gas station. Anything else would be too difficult to fix on the side of the road like fuel ump, etc. But then again I've heard stories from folks who (claim) they replaced a transfer case or driveshaft on the side of the road only using hand tools at hand, may be even a Swiss Army knife...Yeah right.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

MacGuyver can....
Old 01-17-2014, 09:12 AM

With a butter knife.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L
Default CPS or somethin else?

Well howdy folks!
Been a while, I been in the "stan" dang glad to be back in good ol USA!

So as the title says, looks like I got me a CPS fail. Funny story tho.... am just moved into me new digs here in the southwest, and I am hearing this gawd-awful growling coming from under the hood ( long trek from the east coast at 33 below zero to the balmy sunny west Texas sunshine!). so through the tried-and-true method of the long screwdriver to the ear on the various parts of the engine to find the culprit, I locate the perp...... the water pump, bearing shot....no leak tho, Thank goodness! so, here I am today teardown, clean, replace pump, tensioner, thermostat, belt, hoses, clamps ( been 100 thou since all that were done, sooooo),,,,, I got all the new goodies on, and fire it up, WOW so much quieter! cept for one thing and it has just started like two days ago... a REALLY high pitched whine! not from ALT, or vacuum that I can tell anywhere, but I digress.......so now, I finish the bolt together, (air filter box etc.) then try to start and CRAP! no fire....cranks all day long. then I do the key on/off/on/off/on for codes got a 12 ( this is after I disconn battery and hold pos and neg together to drain any residual outta the ecm. heres the rub, according to jeep shop manual, no code 12 exists, code 11 is CPS. (note, code 12 for V6 is no signal to ECM) . so here is my question and maybe I posted this a LOOOOONG time ago, but hoping ya'll can give me the short answer. I suspect the CPS and have pulled it. got a new one on order, anyody know what the new one from stealer dealer should cost? (they say here its like a $100 bucks, that don sound right to me) ,,(91 Cherokee, 4.0 L)....... I know you guys know all this stuff!!!!
OH YA, I got OL red painted while I was in Afghanistan! dang she looks great!
more to come,

all the best!
cpnwrench!

Quick Reply: CPS replaced, should I replace anything else?