Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Couple Questions before heading to a new JY

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Couple Questions before heading to a new JY

I will be going to a new jy this weekend and i remember hearing that i could get a front sway bar and tie rod from a grand cherokee, what year grand cherokee do i need to look for?

Also going to be looking for a front drive shaft out of an xj for an sye, does it matter what year?

Is there any other upgrade parts from other vehicles i can get from the jy?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The sway bar swap is useless in my opinion. The stock XJ swaybar is adequate for on road use, and the majority of us disconnect it when hitting the trails. If you do not have swaybar disconnects, then a thicker swaybar would reduce your flex ability. The tie rod is a good swap because the stock XJ unit is a hollow sheet metal tube that is weak and easily damaged with larger tires offroad. You need to look for a 93-98 ZJ with a V8, it is a solid piece that is much stronger. The 6 cyl models have the same tie rod as the XJ. Depending on how much lift you have, you may want to look for the front driveshaft from the ZJ as well. They are a little longer than the XJ and work better with the taller lifts.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, also depending on how much lift you have. You can pull the pitman arm from a ZJ, it will give a 1 inch drop over the stock XJ piece. This will help to reduce the steering increased angles caused by lifting it.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

As far as your driveshaft i found the stock front shaft was to short for my SYE conversion i did the hack n tap on my 241 T case. i did find the front drive shaft fron a 95 grand cherokee was the perfect length. i have a 4.5" lift. if you click on my XJ build link below and scroll thru it you will see i have pics that show you what i mean the 33-32 inch shaft from a 95 grand is what im using but depending on the SYE conversion kit you will be getting and your lift and t case will determine what you need. the stock XJ shaft that i got was a 29 inch shaft FULLY compressed measured from center of the lower U-Joint to the center of the furtherst U-Joint on the upper. i was told by the drive shaft shop out by me to measure for the shaft. put in your SYE kit and lift kit place ths jeep on the ground line up the yokes on the axle and t-case horizontal and measure from the face of the yoke to face of the yoke ( mine was 34 1/2")
then minus 2 inches that brought me to 32 1/2" so since i could only find a 32 and a 33 inch shafts you have to pick one or the other. you minus 2 inches because the shaft has a aproxx of 4 inch compression from fully extended to fully compressed so that brings me right in the center. but all this was just my XJ with my setup yours may be different.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks all,
I will not worry about the front sway bar, but will look for a 93-98ZJ V8's tie rod. i do have a 4.5" lift, So i guess i should probably wait on the driveshaft till i get the sye, i would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for all the info.