Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Couple questions

Newbie here, have had a 91 Laredo for over a year now. I've got a couple questions, figured I'd put them all in one thread than spread them out. Some of the things I've do so far:

Full tuneup
Stereo replaced, all speakers replaced, amp+sub setup
Removed the abs brake pump, it was a major leak and looked like it had been replaced already. Capped off the extraneous lines and the brake pedal feels better than ever.

I get around 12mpg with only city driving. I keep it under 2k rpm and the rest of the car is completely stock. I did a full tuneup when I got it, new distributor cap, wires, plugs, filters, oil change. Shoulda seen the plugs that came out! Two were completely touching and 3 of the other four looked like a cave with the corrosion growing from the strap and the electrode. I was surprised it even ran! Is my mpg around where it should be? Any tips/tricks? I've also taken out the restrictor in the airbox.

I've got a hell of a vibration at 63mph. It's there about 60% of the time. Some times I can do 70 and not a single shake. What is this more likely to be, tie rod ends, sway bar links, etc?

How hard is it to replace the front knuckle u-joints in the axle? Mine click pretty bad.

Sometimes the upper console's temp display works (and when it works, it's a 50/50 shot if it shows the right temp or -60*) and sometimes it doesn't. Is this a loose wire or a sensor I can replace?

Last edited by mechacode; 06-23-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Where u from? This thread will most likely be deleted unless u remove the cat thing. It is illegal in all of usa to remove the cat converter.

You can replace o2 sensor, usually a 1-2 mpg increase, even if code not on. Drop in kn filter. Peterson offroad did a study on xj after 100k. The biggest improvement they seen in mpg was by replacing the worn out p.s. pump. I guess it caused alot of drag on the engine.

The vibration issue, if in steering wheel, is prob just tire imbalance. Usually when u get a vib up in that speed it is a imbalance of tires, or bent rim.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 01
Engine: 4.0

My '95s axle joints went out around 80k and 3 yrs,I took it to the dealer since it was kinda new.My '98 Grand went out at 150k and 12 yrs a good age to experiment so I did them myself.Hardest part was getting the old ones out of the yolk.Had to use a press at work and they came out after making a noise like a gun going off.The new ones went back together almost by hand.You have to be careful putting the axle back in,the seals are down in the axle housing just outside the carrier bearings,you don't want to damage them. If you don't have a way to press out the joint,do the R&R yourself and take them into a shop to have them put in the new ones.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:43 AM

Thanks guys. Any ideas on the other questions?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:50 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by mechacode
How hard is it to replace the front knuckle u-joints in the axle? Mine click pretty bad.
DON'T DO THAT YOURSELF!!!! IT TOOK ME TWO DAYS TO DO JUST MY DRIVERSIDE AND I HAVE A SCAR FROM A FLAT HEAD SCREWDRIVER!!!! A SHOP CAN DO IT IN 10 MIN!!!

just a warning...
Old 09-29-2011, 01:41 AM

Aah ok then. How much does that usually run for a shop to do that?
Old 09-29-2011, 01:51 AM

Year: 1987

for the guy that stated it is illeagle to remove your cat. that isnt completely true. i know where i live if the vehical is some like 20 years old it doesnt really matter as long as the exhuast goes past the last window that is openable... plus in SD we really dont have any emmsions laws that are enforced. most people doesnt realize it but most states have a law that states any exhuast that is modified past stock is illeagle. it is just not enforced if that makes sense.. i bumped into this awhile back and maybe it would help some people out. http://www.racingbeat.com/mazda/perf...emissions.html
and yes i do know there are some states extremely bad about emmisions.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:56 AM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

It is a Federal law, inspections or not, if a vehicle came from the factory equipped with a Catalytic Converter then legally it is required for you to have one.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:40 AM

ahh yes you are right. i had to reread threw a few things. but like i stated some states really dont give a s*** like south dakota. we have no emmisions laws or tests what so ever beside federl laws
Old 09-29-2011, 02:46 AM

They don't test in my county here in wisconsin and out of all the modified cars I've owned, I've never had a cop anywhere ask me if I still had a cat under it, just a muffler. For all intents and purposes though "all of my cars have a catalytic converter". It's federal law but the states can choose whether or not to enforce it.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:54 AM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

You also should realize that it is against the rules of CherokeeForum.com to discuss the removal of Catalytic Convertors.

From the rules-
Illegal Activity
5. Do not talk about illegal activity on this forum. This includes illegal drugs, parties, wheeling, internet use, etc. Violators of this rule will be dealt with on a case by case basis. This rule includes the discussion of removing catalytic convertors, this is illegal and not allowed to be discussed on this site.

So it is not just weather or not it is something that the cops look for.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:59 AM

i apologize.