Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A Couple of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default A Couple of Questions

Hello everyone! Great forum, I've been rummaging through the threads on here for almost a week before i decided to join today!

I joined because I have a question that I need clarification on. I'm looking to buy the 3 inch lift kit from Rough Country

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3.html

I'm going for the add-a-leaf system.

My question is, can I still use stock brake lines with this lift or will it be too much? If anyone with experience with this kit can offer me some advice, I'd appreciate it. And if anyone can recommend another competitively priced lift kit of similar height, please do so. I chose that kit because for $298 (w/ shipping) I also a complete set of shocks which my jeep needs bad as all 4 struts are blown.

Another question is I stumbled onto this article:
http://www.4x4xplor.com/homediscos.html

And I was wondering, can that work with an XJ?

Lastly, exhaust... My exhaust is rusting off (i bought the jeep this way), can anyone recommend any cheap catback setups? I was looking at a Cherry Bomb Extreme with a stock tail pipe. Currently I have no tail pipe and the exhaust is horribly loud and just plain ugly. It sounds like somebody hooked up the I6 to a fart can exhaust. Its horrible! I've heard a few sound clips and vids on youtube and I've my heart set on either a Cherry Bomb Extreme or a Flowmaster 50 series. Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance for reading my post! Cheers!

Oh and I have a '96 Jeep Cherokee Sport w/ 4.0L 4x4
Old 09-28-2010, 07:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Don't use add a leaf save the extra hundred bucks and go for full packs. You will regret add a leaf. And you will need extended rear brake lines. you can get away with the fronts at 3inches but you will prolly want to change those soon too if you offroad the vehicle.

At 3 inches the exhaust will probably just get hung up if you offroad and you will have just wasted money on a premium one. I would just go for a stock one until you go bigger.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:19 PM

Thanks for your comment.

I want to do the 3 inch lift because i would barely go off-roading, but the times i do, I want some decent clearance. It wouldnt be an everyday or every weekend thing which is why I originally thought an add-a-leaf would work out.

As for the exhaust I chose a cherry bomb extreme muffler ($55 shipped on ebay) and a stock tail pipe ($65 shipped on ebay). Thats cheaper than stock and has a decent sound.

Even now, I dont know about the lift kit just yet, i'm trying to research and come up with different brands. I might just put my own together :-S IDK yet.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try here before you buy.Only $210 shipped and its the same kit.
http://www.carparts.com/autoparts/It...29497110609302
I have this same kit plus a 2in spacer and love it.I went with an S-10 bastard pack for the rear instead of the AAL.Cost me $40 form the JY.If you get a rear brake hose for a 96 Dakota 4x4 you'll be good up to a 6in lift .It is 6in longer the an XJ and a direct bolt on.2xs on not using the AAL.If your leaves are weak allready they will sag in a few months.My front lines are still stock and have'nt any problem and I flex it pretty good.Whatever exhaust you put on you may want to cut the exit pipe back some so you don't crush it when wheeling.I have DynoMax on all my vehicles.

Last edited by troy fritz; 09-28-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by troy fritz
Try here before you buy.Only $210 shipped and its the same kit.
http://www.carparts.com/autoparts/It...29497110609302
I have this same kit plus a 2in spacer and love it.I went with an S-10 bastard pack for the rear instead of the AAL.Cost me $40 form the JY.If you get a rear brake hose for a 96 Dakota 4x4 you'll be good up to a 6in lift .It is 6in longer the an XJ and a direct bolt on.2xs on not using the AAL.If your leaves are weak allready they will sag in a few months.My front lines are still stock and have'nt any problem and I flex it pretty good.Whatever exhaust you put on you may want to cut the exit pipe back some so you don't crush it when wheeling.I have DynoMax on all my vehicles.

Wow dude that's the cheapest price I've seen for that kit online! Thanks for that great find dude seriously! I was actually looking at a Rubicon Express 2 inch lift http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...oducts_id/1648
Since it seemed conservative enough. I would love to throw some 30s under the car but, i'll have to wait a month or two before that can happen. LOL, Now I'm caught up and dont know which one to pick! $210 is one helluva price, but now I have a few more questions, more like concerns actually. If I give the jeep a 3" lift, what else would i be required to do outside of the kit?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You posted a link for RC so I thought you were going for that one.Thats confusing!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:07 PM

I was originally looking at the RC 3" but after what XJ Stryker told me regarding the brake lines and the AAL sys I was a bit intimidated (in a "i dont wanna mess my rig up" way) so I did a bit more research and discovered the Rubicon Express 2" which included a rear brake line.
Later, you posted your link and info which lead me investigate the dakota brake line which lead me to the YJ brake line. I found that Autozone sold one (looked up for a 95 Jeep Wrangler) that's 17.5" long for 17.99 (came out to $25 with shipping) so i bought one. I called Rough Country and spoke to a gentleman by the name of Ryan. Very friendly and helpful. I explained to him what I wanted to do. Why I wanted to lift the truck. I told him I was really considering the Series two because of the new control arms and the sway bar lowering brackets and he told me that the series two would be overkill for what i wanted and that the standard 3 inch lift would suffice. So I ordered the RC 3" from Carparts.com, came out to $222.99! =D I am very happy with the price and shipping is free! As far as the exhaust, I bought the cherry bomb extreme single outlet from Jegs (came out to $76.96 w/ shipping and 4 exhaust clamps) because I heard many youtube sound clips of it and i really like how it growls. I also bought an exhaust pipe from RockAuto for $51.04 (really low shipping cost!) In total I spent about $375 in a matter of minutes and in conclusion, sorry for the confusion bud and thanks for your help! =D
Old 09-30-2010, 10:13 PM

Hey troy fritz, bad news regarding that link. I got an email today from CarParts.com. They were sorry to have processed my order incorrectly as they have discontinued that kit. Reason being is because it was incorrectly worded on their site. It was actually sold without shocks. =S Oh well back to square one I guess.