Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A Couple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Default A Couple Questions

So I have two questions. Over the weekend I'm going to be dropping the transmission pan and changing the filter. But while I'm there should I be checking anything or testing anything etc?
Also when I turb to the right I get a click coming from the passenger front tire. I've checked for play in the ujoints and the ball joints and they all seem to be tight. I do know I need to replace the tie rod end on the drivers side because it pops. So the actual question, I pumped grease into all the fittings I could find awhile ago. And when I did this the popping from the steering went away as well as the ckicking when I turn right. Would a tie rod actually cause a clicking noise when turning due to it being crapped out?
Thanks in advanced as well.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If greasing the tie rod ends made the noise stop, it's a pretty safe assumption the worn joint was causing the noise.
If the trans is operating correctly I'm a fan of leaving well enough alone. Change the filter, check the pan for metal, goop or grit, refill and go.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Well, since you're gonna be under there with transmission fluid in your hair anyway...it's a good time to check/change the transfer case fluid....and a shot of grease in the slip joint thing on the driveshaft probably would'nt hurt.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 PM

So I dropped the pan and after awhile of messing around to clean off all the old rtv and whatnot I got the new filter and fluid in.
Just for sake of not wanting to open a new thread, what kind of tre is on the drivers side.. is it left hand thread? Right hand?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: Straight6

i'm curious if your transmission dipstick tube is attatched to your pan permenantly, like mine is. if so, how did you get the pan to actually "drop"? i was attempting this very task today and cannot get the pan more than 3/4" away from the matting surface. did you use a lift? or remove the exhaust? drop the trannie before opening the pan? ive done this job on a few other vehicles but none have had the tube attatched to the pan.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Grandi.Manson
i'm curious if your transmission dipstick tube is attatched to your pan permenantly, like mine is. if so, how did you get the pan to actually "drop"? i was attempting this very task today and cannot get the pan more than 3/4" away from the matting surface. did you use a lift? or remove the exhaust? drop the trannie before opening the pan? ive done this job on a few other vehicles but none have had the tube attatched to the pan.
Well I was having the same problem, but then grabbed the pan and wiggled and shaked it a ton and it poped off. The tube is split at the end so if and when it detaches the bend will still be attached to the pan while the straight part and the dipstick are just hanging there. I hope that made sense..
Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by cherokeelaredo'90
Well I was having the same problem, but then grabbed the pan and wiggled and shaked it a ton and it poped off. The tube is split at the end so if and when it detaches the bend will still be attached to the pan while the straight part and the dipstick are just hanging there. I hope that made sense..
made perfect sense, thanks a bunch! i saw the connection you are talking about, but assumed it was sweated. so i unbolted the tube from the bell housing, crawled under and saw what i had to do to snake that booger down and out... needless to say i realized that WASNT gunna happen, and put her back together for now. i'm still hesitant to get rough with a part being removed if its not obvious how to seperate the part from the jeep. i'll be crawling back under there to cuss louder this time.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I-6

The tranny dipstick tube is two piece with a rubber o-ring seal. First time I took mine apart, I was SO worried I would tweak it. It might be stiff, but it'll come off. I drop the pan then while pulling down, I'll twist it back and forth. After it comes apart, then I'll take out the top bolt and remove the upper section. When I reinstall, I do the pan first. Then I take and wire brush where the tubes connect. I then use a little grease on the o-ring and it usually just slips right back together.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by scottmphoto
The tranny dipstick tube is two piece with a rubber o-ring seal. First time I took mine apart, I was SO worried I would tweak it. It might be stiff, but it'll come off. I drop the pan then while pulling down, I'll twist it back and forth. After it comes apart, then I'll take out the top bolt and remove the upper section. When I reinstall, I do the pan first. Then I take and wire brush where the tubes connect. I then use a little grease on the o-ring and it usually just slips right back together.
I didn't even notice an oring on mine... hah I just put the pans tube back into the other and rebolted it on. There aren't any leaks sooo I guess it's all fine and dandy. And the transmission shifts quite a bit smoother after changing the filter
Old 11-30-2012, 11:14 AM

cool! thats a good bit to know. i only have mondays and tuesdays to do any work, so its nice to know before hand rather than learn by breaking stuff. thanks a bunch gents!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:10 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

Ran into the same problem on my 96 many years back, I was not able to seperate the tube to lower the pan no matter how much pulling and twisting, so I used a small 1/4 drive ratched and socket and was able to get my hand between the pan and engine. Removed the filter bolts and was able to remove the filter and replace it. It can be done without droping the pan.