Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Couple of oil/oil pressure questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Couple of oil/oil pressure questions.

First off, and more importantly, I switched the oil to 10W30 as summer started and about 3 weeks after I changed it I noticed the oil pressure runs high(70-75), normally started at 60) at startup. I assume it's due to the thicker oil and switched back to 5W30, same thing and sometimes it almost pegs out at 80. I'll watch it while driving and it will sometimes jump from 70 down to 60 hold for a bit and then jump back up. Once warmed up fully it will go down a bit. The only thing I have done was before I first changed the oil I ran seafoam through the crankcase for about 100 miles. At 70mph on the freeway it will run at 65-70. First off, is this bad(the manual says normal is 60) can it cause other problems? Is it simply bad sending unit or a dirty connection, or hints at something more nefarious? What should I do?

Second question: when I bought my Jeep in March the PO was running Valvoline in it(had the sticker from the quicklube place in the window). So one of the first things I did was switch over to Mobil Clean High Mileage. The only place to find it around here was the Mobil quick change, so I bought it and didn't think twice(25 bucks for 7 qts.) Time for a new oil change and I go back, this time I deal with the manager and he tells me it's 9$ a quart(price came to 59$ with his "generous" 10$ discount when he sees how unhappy I was. At this point I am still being nice). He says the last guy messed up and charged me too little and that Mobil charges him 7$ a quart. I looked online before I went and found 12 quarts for the same price he wanted for 7, so I called him out for the liar that he was in front of his employees and customers(I had the website saved on my phone), said a few choice words, told him where to put his oil and left. I want to continue using it, but it is a pain to find and I really don't want to order it online all the time. I like being able to just go to a store and buy it when it's ready to be changed(I check my oil at every fill and as soon as it gets dark, I change it). What would your opinion be of me switching to regular Mobil Clean 5000? Please no other suggestions as I only use Mobil products Thanks guys, sorry this was so long.

Last edited by Anthonyb; 09-18-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked walmart, im sure you might have but off the top of my head i recall seeing mobil 1 there? And good job on calling them out. lol bc that seems a little high from what i remember seeing around as well.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah, walmart has the regular Mobil Clean 5000, but not the Mobil Clean High Mileage. I have been to every store in this area and no one has the high mileage. I'm wondering if the benefits the high mileage offer are worth it, or if it would be ok to use regular Mobil Clean(I don't want to use Mobil 1, as I don't want to run synthetic in a 14 year old engine)
Old 09-19-2010, 01:09 AM

I was about to explain it in it's entirety, but this site does a better job:
http://www.ehow.com/about_6113608_hi...utm_source=ask
Old 09-19-2010, 06:10 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 liter

I run Mobil 1 in my two S10 Blazers (one has just over 125,000 miles on it ,the 1996, and one has about 75,000 miles on a rebuilt engine, the 1995) with no leak/burn issues.

Prior to trading it off last year I was running Mobil 1 in my 1990 F150 and it had 251,000 miles on the engine.

I won't run Mobil 1 in an engine with leaks (like my 1986 IROC Z).

Oh, I don't by the high mileage stuff either, just the standard Mobil 1.

For your issue I'd check both the sending unit and the gauge. Not sure how to check it but for a sudden change like that its most likely the electronics, not the oil pressure.

Last edited by 81Z4ME; 09-19-2010 at 06:12 AM. Reason: keyboard sometimes misses the "j"s.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:47 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.o

No need to change from a 5-30 to a 10-30 wright oil from winter to summer. you dont gain anything. the two oils have almost identical properties at operating temps. you want the thinner 5 weight oils for startup year round that wear the majority of engine wear occurs is startup.
Holy crap $9 for mobile 1. You can get Amsoil cheaper than that
Your oil pressure will fluctuate, high oil pressure isnt always a good thing. your owners manual stated that. to much oil pressure can actually starve bearings for oil by pushing it out, oil flow is more important.

Last edited by dbcox; 09-19-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

OP...I would bet that your local Mobil Quick Change place, is either an independent or part of a small chain operation. Exxon/Mobil has put the screws to these smaller dealers raising wholesale prices on them, or requiring them to make larger purchases.

The issue with the Mobil Clean 5000 line is the low levels of Zinc and Phosphorous in them.
You need to add a ZDDP additive to it to reach the protection levels of Hi-Mileage line of oils. Once you add in the costs of that, the cost averages out to almost the same as the more pricey oils.

Mobil makes very good products for the price points they are at. But their corporate push to cover the entire lubrication spectrum has left their product line-up a bit confusing

But you are correct, $7 a quart is quite a bit of money. $9 a quart for something that isn't a high end synthetic is nearing highway robbery.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by dbcox
No need to change from a 5-30 to a 10-30 wright oil from winter to summer. you dont gain anything. the two oils have almost identical properties at operating temps. you want the thinner 5 weight oils for startup year round that wear the majority of engine wear occurs is startup.
Holy crap $9 for mobile 1. You can get Amsoil cheaper than that
Your oil pressure will fluctuate, high oil pressure isnt always a good thing. your owners manual stated that. to much oil pressure can actually starve bearings for oil by pushing it out, oil flow is more important.

Daniel.... have the courage to add exactly who you are to your signature line. One dealer behaving in less than a completely honest fashion does more damage to all of our reputations than 1000 honest dealers operating ethically.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:35 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.o

Originally Posted by whowey
Daniel.... have the courage to add exactly who you are to your signature line. One dealer behaving in less than a completely honest fashion does more damage to all of our reputations than 1000 honest dealers operating ethically.
I said nothing that wasnt true, i did put who i was also

Last edited by dbcox; 09-19-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like I'll be ordering the high mileage in bulk off the internet after all. I forgot about the zinc/phosphorous content but now I remember that's why I started using it to begin with, as my understanding is the 4.0 was meant to run with high zinc/phosphorous content oil.

And I guess I'll clean the connection today on the sending unit(but only after my Vikes play! :P) And if that doesn't work I'll get just replace it.

Also to clarify: the guy was charging 9$ a qt for the Mobil Clean High Mileage, I looked on the wall and they were actually charging 14$ for Mobil 1. This might explain why the few times I have been there, this last time was the only time they even had customers.

Thanks again guys! This place is the most useful resource I have found since I bought my Cherokee!
Old 09-19-2010, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

If Mobil 1, which is full synthetic oil, is $7/qt @ Walmart, $9/qt at a quicky lube doesn't sound outrageous to me. Charging anything extra for Mobil Clean would be outrageous because Mobil Clean is conventional oil.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Again, I will clarify: It was 9 a qt for Mobil Clean High Mileage, and 14$ a qt for Mobil 1. Both of these prices are outrageous.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Yep, those $ for those oils are outrageous. ZDDP levels have been lowered (but replaced with other just as good additives), easier on catalytic converters and the environment. Plenty of ZDDP hype and myths are on the Internet, don't see how lower levels of it could possibly affect the Jeep 4.0L.

Last edited by djb383; 09-19-2010 at 12:56 PM.