Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Couple of issues on '96 Sport 2wd

Old 10-03-2018, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Couple of issues on '96 Sport 2wd

Wifes' Cherokee 2wd has a few aggravating issues, one of which I myself have not been able to duplicate. She says that if she hits a bump, the car begins to shudder and shake to the point where she has to pull off the road and stop. WTF could be causing that, and why haven't I encountered it while I'm driving it? Next up is the power steering gearbox; it leaks. A LOT. All from the input shaft, apparently, as there doesn't seem to be any weepage from the lower shaft. Is there a simple fix for this? Next up is the non-functional blower motor. I've replaced the blower resistor, dashboard switches, any fuses I can find, but the blower motor DOES NOT WORK. At this point I'm ready to hardwire a toggle switch into the circuit. This is her only transportation; she hates to drive my GMC Sierra, so anything to get this car working better will make her day.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The first issue sounds like the onset of "Death Wobble". You can google the term, or search the term here on the forum. The reasons she experiences it and you don't could come down to speed, driving style, and the route she drives.

The second issue is likely failing seals in the steering gearbox. They can be rebuilt, but in your case would probably call for a replacement unit. Most would recommend a new (not a remanufactured unit) if possible. Also, a compromised steering gear can also be a contributor to the onset of death wobble, as are worn out front end suspension components (ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, and trackbar brackets/fasteners).
Old 10-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Have you tested the blower motor? Could be it's toast. The way it's wired is the motor gets power and the resistor and switch are the various ground paths. Sometimes the resistor plug melts and causes an open circuit. Also, it's a permanent magnet motor that will run in either direction by changing polarity. If you wire in a new one, make sure it's wired correctly. That squirrel-cage fan doesn't move very much air in reverse.