Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

couple easy questions from a jeep newby

Old 01-30-2010, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default couple easy questions from a jeep newby

#1 ok, first things first. just bought my first jeep. 89 xj with a renix setup. my jeep starts slow. cranks and cranks sometimes takes up to 10 seconds to start. give it gas, it does the same. and i know its got plenty of fuel because you can smell it. i have an emission maint light on. other than that, it runs great for a 218k mile vehicle. still lots of power.

#2 my front coil spring mounts are rotting out. ive done plenty of welding and fabbing before so, cutting them off and welding another set on wont be a problem. any suggestions? anybody make the mounts?

i plan on doing a 6.5 rough country x-series very soon and trimming for more room for 35's. just want to get some things straight first.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 5.9

#1 If your emission maint. light is on then its a computer thing and you need to have it scaned and replace the appropriate sensor, I dont pretend to understand all that I stick with older motors.

#2 I believe you can get all your brackets at rustys 4X4 and if you can use a grinder, welder, and a tape meassure youre all set.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:46 AM

Year: 1989

awesome. thanks man. like i said, this is my first jeep. new to the scene. lol
Old 01-31-2010, 12:11 PM

#1 - Emission maint light is controlled by a usless timer. Under the driver side knee panel, disconnect the "emission maint timer" it has a 2 wire connector and looks like a clock in a box. "lots of gears". All it does is turn the light on!

Renix system does not have OBD, you can not connect a computer to diagnose the emissions system.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...iagnostics.htm

Link to Renix sensors.

Hope this helps.
KatManT
Old 01-31-2010, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 287 Likes on 237 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

i personally wouldn't bother with refabing new coil buckets etc... D30 axles can be found cheap enough where i'd just swap one in.... assuming it has 3.55's though...
Old 02-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 5.9

Originally Posted by KatManT
#1 - Emission maint light is controlled by a usless timer. Under the driver side knee panel, disconnect the "emission maint timer" it has a 2 wire connector and looks like a clock in a box. "lots of gears". All it does is turn the light on!

Renix system does not have OBD, you can not connect a computer to diagnose the emissions system.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...iagnostics.htm

Link to Renix sensors.

Hope this helps.
KatManT

I assure you if it has a maint light it has a computer and can be plugged into. OBD II is anything after 96 and before that you have to get a vehicle speciffic scanner and read the instructions to see where to plug it in.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996

Renix is PRE OBD, there is a scanner, but its proprietary and I dont think the dealers even keep them around any more. It would be very hard to find one. It would be kinda useless anyway, Since The Renix ECU does not have much on the way of diagnostics.
Renix ECUs do not store "codes" or "throw" codes. Im not even sure there are "codes" for this system.
Any diagnostics information is lost when the key is turned to the "off" position also.
There is also no check engine light.
Everything in this system can be tested with a multimeter and is very easy to fix.

The maintenance light is just a timer, it is set to go off after ~80,000 miles as a "reminder" to check your maintenance equipment.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:31 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0l

The long cranking is the renix fuel stuff. It has to find number 1 first then it starts to fire after that. I agree with KatManT about the emission crap disconnect it and just find a reputable shop that has the opproriate connector to scan it. The plugs that they have to hook up to is on the passenger side next to the coil.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996

The long start is normal.
Mine usually takes 5 seconds or more.
The ECU has to find #1 TDC, and reach 300rpm before It will fire the injectors and start spark.

Here is a start of mine, a few seconds longer than normal cause it was sitting for a while.
You dont have to watch the whole thing, it was a diagnostic video I made for the forum
Dont mind the knock either, Its nickname is "KnockKnock" for a reason.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:40 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

I have a 2000 XJ--bought it last Fall. It too, had a long start requiring 2-4 turns of the key over several seconds. Thanks to folks on this forum, I found the fix was nothing! Turn the key to "on", wait for the engine light to turn off, then turn the ignition. Should start right up--mine does now!

Good luck.

Dan