Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Could this be low transfer case fluid??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Could this be low transfer case fluid??

Hey guys, figured I'd ask here for a little peace of mind before I go out and look at the Jeep tomorrow...

I've noticed a sound coming from the center console around the shifter. Sitting in the drivers seat, I figured it was the right wheel bearing, but I noticed today riding in the passenger seat, its coming from the middle, sounds like right under the shifter.

I would say the noise is a grinding noise, but nothing even close to bad. Its audible. Like a bearing thats just beginning to go. Can hardly be heard over the sound of wind on the windshield on the highway.

Is this a sign of low or empty transfer case fluid? I've done the reading on how to fill it. Seems easy enough. Just trying to convince myself this is not going to turn into something serious. Car drives pretty slick otherwise, except for the slip yoke that I plan on lubing up tomorrow as well.

Thanks for any help you guys can send my way. This is the most helpful, friendliest forum I've ever been a member of, btw.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by g33tar
friendliest forum I've ever been a member of, btw.
Maybe..but we might turn like a pack of wild dogs if you don't post what you have! There is some sort of transmission under that shifter as well!

Sure, top off your fluids....dexron III in the T-case and the AW 4 automatic. there IS some special deal with the oil for a manual with brass syncros, I'm not really up on that. Hope that's all it is.....if the T-case has been empty long enough to make noise that might not be good.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:53 AM

Haha its a 1998 Cherokee sport. Im not quite sure of what transmission it is. Its automatic.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:45 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Haha its a 1998 Cherokee sport. Im not quite sure of what transmission it is. Its automatic.

Thanks for the help!
Always a good idea to check condition and level of fluids in every gearbox.

Does the noise change if you gingerly apply pressure one way or the other on the 4wd shifter?

When's the last time your 98 Jeep had a grease job? dry u-joints?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Does the noise change if you gingerly apply pressure one way or the other on the 4wd shifter?
YES! ....now whats the bad news? Does that mean its toast?

Not quite sure on the grease job dates. Ive only owned it for a week and a half. Just trying to get any odd sounds out of it that I can. Ive got that sound, a loose exhaust hanger, and something that sounds like a chain jangling whenever I hit the brakes, take off, or take a quick turn.

Random noises drive me crazy.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:14 PM

YES! ....now whats the bad news? Does that mean its toast?

Not quite sure on the grease job dates. Ive only owned it for a week and a half. Just trying to get any odd sounds out of it that I can. Ive got that sound, a loose exhaust hanger, and something that sounds like a chain jangling whenever I hit the brakes, take off, or take a quick turn.

Random noises drive me crazy.
Probably means the bushings in your transfer case shifter are bad. Easy if that's it.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:15 PM

AHhh the suspense is killing me. What does it meannnn. I cant afford another transfer case right now
Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 PM

Oh alright awesome! I was dying of suspense over here. Thought this was going to sink me.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 PM

Are these the parts youre talking about ?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52218_0014.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52207_0008.htm\

From what I've been reading, it says the symptoms of bad bushings is a knocking sound or something at idle? I dont have this. BUT, the 'gingerly applying pressure' on the 4wd selector totally makes the sound come and go.

Last edited by g33tar; 03-02-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:26 PM

Are these the parts youre talking about ?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52218_0014.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52207_0008.htm\

From what I've been reading, it says the symptoms of bad bushings is a knocking sound or something at idle? I dont have this. BUT, the 'gingerly applying pressure' on the 4wd selector totally makes the sound come and go.

Yep. But poke your noggin UNDER YOUR JEEP and verify the diagnosis first.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:47 PM

I will tomorrow. What exactly would I be looking for? Play/slack in those connections?

I cant understand how those pieces would make the light grinding sound Im hearing though. They arent exactly rotating/spinning pieces, are they? Not quite sure how that 'bearing' works though.

Thanks so much for the help!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 PM

I will tomorrow. What exactly would I be looking for? Play/slack in those connections?

I cant understand how those pieces would make the light grinding sound Im hearing though. They arent exactly rotating/spinning pieces, are they? Not quite sure how that 'bearing' works though.

Thanks so much for the help!
Most understanding comes from "noggin pokin'".
Old 03-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Those bushings frequently go out, easy enough fix...

However like you said they don't exactly spin. Inside the transfer case there are plastic pads on the shift forks that move the internals back and forth. This one manages 4WD/N/2WD (mode fork):

On high mileage units they can get worn off and you end up with aluminum or steel rubbing on the shift hubs - especially if the shift linkage gets messed up and there's pressure on them all the time.

Go for the shift bushings first, never hurts to refresh that sort of thing. U-joints are also a must - grease everything! Then you can explore other options.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by salad
Those bushings frequently go out, easy enough fix...

However like you said they don't exactly spin. Inside the transfer case there are plastic pads on the shift forks that move the internals back and forth. This one manages 4WD/N/2WD (mode fork):

On high mileage units they can get worn off and you end up with aluminum or steel rubbing on the shift hubs - especially if the shift linkage gets messed up and there's pressure on them all the time.

Go for the shift bushings first, never hurts to refresh that sort of thing. U-joints are also a must - grease everything! Then you can explore other options.
You're gonna scare him............
Old 03-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by cruiser54
You're gonna scare him............
I guess that's possible lol. Come back to my post in a week or so.

Quick Reply: Could this be low transfer case fluid??