Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cooling System Setup Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Cooling System Setup Opinions?

I am gettin ready to slap in my new cooling system on my '91 XJ. Tell me what you guys think... plus I kinda need some help lol

New parts:

All Metal 2-Row Radiator from radiatorbarn.com
New 195* Duralast Thermostat (I heard 180's dont really do squat)
New T-Stat Housing
New Coolant Temp Sensor
New Radiator Hoses
New Radiator Cap
New NAPA water pump

So what do you guys think? I was thinking of doing that Prestone coolant flush kit, but a guy told me that using that could cause loosened gunk to clog up in water-jackets and possibly the heater core. Myth or fact? As for dropping the rad in, I think it is pretty simple:

1) Do the Prestone Flush (maybe)
2) Let XJ cool off, probably overnight
3) Get some Mountain Dew and tools
4) Take off rad cap and unplug rad drain
5) Once coolant is drained, unbolt mech fan shroud and remove e-fan
6) Remove the top brace to expose radiator
7) Unscrew tranny cooler lines and plug them
8) Unbolt the rad-to-condensor mounts
9) Lift out rad
10) Drop new rad in and reinstall all lines, mounts, and brace
11) Fill with rad and overflow bottle with either 50/50 or 60/40 coolant mix
12) Start XJ and let run to operating temp with rad cap off
13) Fill as neccesary

Sound about right? Thanks for all help guys!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

i think you about got all you need
Old 07-07-2010, 08:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

thats what i did when i replaced mine i have a 90 with the 96+ radiator upgrade but i did the same steps
Old 07-13-2010, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
I am gettin ready to slap in my new cooling system on my '91 XJ. Tell me what you guys think... plus I kinda need some help lol

New parts:

All Metal 2-Row Radiator from radiatorbarn.com
New 195* Duralast Thermostat (I heard 180's dont really do squat)
New T-Stat Housing
New Coolant Temp Sensor
New Radiator Hoses
New Radiator Cap
New NAPA water pump

So what do you guys think? I was thinking of doing that Prestone coolant flush kit, but a guy told me that using that could cause loosened gunk to clog up in water-jackets and possibly the heater core. Myth or fact? As for dropping the rad in, I think it is pretty simple:

1) Do the Prestone Flush (maybe)
2) Let XJ cool off, probably overnight
3) Get some Mountain Dew and tools
4) Take off rad cap and unplug rad drain
5) Once coolant is drained, unbolt mech fan shroud and remove e-fan
6) Remove the top brace to expose radiator
7) Unscrew tranny cooler lines and plug them
8) Unbolt the rad-to-condensor mounts
9) Lift out rad
10) Drop new rad in and reinstall all lines, mounts, and brace
11) Fill with rad and overflow bottle with either 50/50 or 60/40 coolant mix
12) Start XJ and let run to operating temp with rad cap off
13) Fill as neccesary

Sound about right? Thanks for all help guys!
Hello,
I am the technical manager at Prestone coolants. It does sound like you have a good plan, just a few things to add. Start by draining the old coolant and removing the thermostat. Reinstall the t-stat housing and fill with water and Prestone super flush chemical. Install the flush kit in the heater hose line. Run the car to fully circulate the flushing agent and then use the flush kit. Drain the water, refill with water and run the jeep for a few minutes, then drain completely. Remove all your old hoses and water pump, intstall your new parts and refill with a 50/50 mixtur of Prestone Long life coolant. If you are using concentrated coolant, make sure you mix it with demineralizied or deionized water only. If i cna be of further help, please contact me at Jay.Buckley@honeywell.com
Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

When u say u "heard 180s don't do squat" you may have also heard a lot of mis-information as to what a t-stat does. It simply controls the minimum coolant temp. A 180F t-stat allows coolant to flow to the rad at 180F+ and a 195F t-stat allows coolant to flow to the rad at 195+. It's that simple. Once both t-stats are wide open, they both flow the same amount of coolant. With either t-stat, coolant temp will rise at the same rate from a cold start. With cool ambient air temps and light duty operation, using a 180F t-stat will almost always lower coolant temps vs using a 195F t-stat. With hot ambient air temps and heavy duty operation, XJ coolant temps will be well north of 195F due mainly (but not solely) to the dinky radiator surface area. The dinky rad just can't loose enough heat fast enough to keep coolant temps running on the t-stat. More rows help some but the main factor is rad surface area.......or the lack of it with the XJ.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:43 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

I run a 180 in the summer and have never had a problem in 3 summers so far. I go on the beach in the summer fishing with the air on and STILL have no problem. I also have the Prestone T flush kit in my 94 and it works great for flushing/burping the motor/radiator...Tj
Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Yep, I prefer the 180F t-stat myself as coolant will start to flow sooner.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 6cyl 4.0L

Awesome this is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks guys! Knew it had to be on here somewhere, also, does anyone know of any High-flow thermostats I could get my hands on, it seems to be getting unusually hot around here and I just want my system to be able to have all the flow it needs. I figure ya'll would have some good suggestions.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

I guess the only reason I wouldnt run a 180 is because in VA it hardly gets warm.. where I live in the mountains our hottest summer temps are low 90's. Everything did install great, and i no longer have ANY overheating issues.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

I would buy a T-STAT housing with the extra port so if you need to drop in a mechanical gauge you will be able to.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by motorking
Hello,
I am the technical manager at Prestone coolants. It does sound like you have a good plan, just a few things to add. Start by draining the old coolant and removing the thermostat. Reinstall the t-stat housing and fill with water and Prestone super flush chemical. Install the flush kit in the heater hose line. Run the car to fully circulate the flushing agent and then use the flush kit. Drain the water, refill with water and run the jeep for a few minutes, then drain completely. Remove all your old hoses and water pump, intstall your new parts and refill with a 50/50 mixtur of Prestone Long life coolant. If you are using concentrated coolant, make sure you mix it with demineralizied or deionized water only. If i cna be of further help, please contact me at Jay.Buckley@honeywell.com
Off topic warning: Does Prestone pay you to surf the web finding random forum posts and offer tech advice on their product? Including but not limited to up-selling and related product offers?

Jk. I did a full flush with 180k on clock and my heater core will cook marsh-mellows in the dead of winter.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:17 PM

Year: 99, 99, @2001

About thermostats, all of U R right. Only difference between them is the temp they open, after that the pump puts the same amount thru both,,if everything is stock.

Now I have a question. I had a bug screen between the plastic grill and radiator on my 2001 XJ. Took it off today because I am going on a long trip pulling a 5000# trailer and I know from experiance the screen door screen I had it covered with reduces the air flow. I had forgot what I had. There is a small cooler that has insulated pipes going to it, then a large cooler before the radiator. Can any of U tell me what the first small one is? And is the large one a tranny cooler? How many vehicles come from the factory with 2 fans? LUV MY JEEPS
Old 08-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

The small cooler should be a tranny cooler possiable from the factory which would mean you have a tow package.Larger one should be for the a/c it should be about the same size as your rad, and all xj s have 2 fans 1 electric for a/c and 2nd cooling fan if the temp goes to high , and you should have the mechanical clutch fan runs all the time with motor.