Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cooling system confusion

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Cooling system confusion

I recently replaced my head and the new head didn't have a spot for the coolant temp switch, so to get a reading on my gauge I installed an adapter in the cooling line for it like this (and I grounded it) Name:  adapter.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  7.1 KB

I also replaced my coolant temperature sensor that is in the thermostat housing.

I am still not getting a reading to my gauge and my electric fan is not coming on. It came on when I pulled the power to the cts and also when I pulled the relay and used a link.

One more thing, I recently pulled out the ac compressor and have read that low freon can cause the fan to not come on, but it still should when the coolant temp gets hot.

Please help guys, Texas heat is coming and I am can't afford to overheat.

Thanks all
Old 02-14-2012, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by jaredsmith.tx
I recently replaced my head and the new head didn't have a spot for the coolant temp switch, so to get a reading on my gauge I installed an adapter in the cooling line for it like this (and I grounded it)

I also replaced my coolant temperature sensor that is in the thermostat housing.

I am still not getting a reading to my gauge and my electric fan is not coming on. It came on when I pulled the power to the cts and also when I pulled the relay and used a link.

One more thing, I recently pulled out the ac compressor and have read that low freon can cause the fan to not come on, but it still should when the coolant temp gets hot.

Please help guys, Texas heat is coming and I am can't afford to overheat.

Thanks all
how did you ground the sender? all that does is either operate the dummy light on the dash, or the temp gauge in the dash. not the ECU. normally that is grounded through the block (hence the one wire going to it). and as far as i know, if you have your ac on, the electric fan will run. the amount of freon does not dictate that. now a low freon level would cause the compressor to not turn on i believe.

the way your electric fan is controlled is completely by the ECU (or if you have renix, a coolant switch in the radiator). the switch for the AC is wired to the ECU so when it is on MAX A/C, the ECU kicks the electric fan on. The ECU also receives input from the temp sensor (located in the thermostat housing if HO, or on the drivers side of the lower block on renix). when it gets too hot, it will turn the fan on. basically two triggers for your fan.

if i am mistaken on any account, feel free to chime in guys.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Seasoned Member

it is grounded to the block. and I also tested grounding it straight to the neg battery terminal.

and I am not getting any signal on my gauge from it at all. is there a fuse perhaps? every fuse I checked was ok.

I checked the hot lead to it and was getting power

its a 1996 btw, not renix
Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

A pic of how u installed the sending unit/hooked wires up would be worth 1K words.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok, here are some pictures. The connector that plugs into the temp switch is getting power and the whole thing is grounded, but I am still not getting any reading to my temp gauge. Is there a fuse that could be blown that I have overlooked? Or anything other reason why I am not getting any reading? I am starting to think the new temp sender is not working properly.

Name:  jeep2.png
Views: 8
Size:  368.7 KB
Name:  jeep3.png
Views: 12
Size:  392.0 KB
here is where it is grounded
Name:  jeep1.png
Views: 13
Size:  353.1 KB
here is where it is spliced into the original wire
Attached Thumbnails Cooling system confusion-forumrunner_20120220_141417.jpg   Cooling system confusion-forumrunner_20120220_141445.jpg   Cooling system confusion-forumrunner_20120220_141546.jpg  

Last edited by jaredsmith.tx; 02-20-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Not sure why all the pictures are upside down and there are two sets of pictures, sorry about that, hopefully you still get the idea
Old 02-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Seasoned Member

well i decided to take the sensor back to autozone and swap it out, that was the problem, I guess they sold me a brand new one that didn't work before.

thanks for the hassle autozone