Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

coolant problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default coolant problems

the other day i was driving and all of a sudden a massive cloud of steam blew from under my hood. i stoped driving and got it home. i thought it was the therm. closed shut...so i opened the housing up and it was close...so i ran over to the auto shop and got a new one and gasket. put it all in, let it heat up...but still having no coolant run through the engine. the resavoir is not empying at all when the engine gets hot. so i opened up the housing again to find it completely dry and smoking...so no coolant is getting to the thermastate at all....is my radiator busted? nothing is leaking from anything when it is running....any ideas guys?? anything could help! thanks guys!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Your radiator may have a massive clog. But the coolant runs through the block than it goes through the therm. into the top of the radiator and out through the bottom into the water pump. Your water pump is probably bad.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 83 CJ7 & '96 XJ & '97 XJ
Engine: 258ci, 4.0 & 4.0

Have you checked your oil? check for a high level, indications of water. Any white smoke coming from the tail pipe?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:11 AM

no smoke that i have noticed..and i will check my water pump out tomarrow. so would getting my radiator flushed fix the clog?...if there is one.. i just got my oil changed and everything checked over my a shop when i got it, no more than 2 or 3 weeks ago...but ill check it out. ill let you guys know, thanks for the input
Old 05-26-2010, 11:46 PM

well today while taking it to a buddies, just down the street, it keeps stalling on me and not wanthing to start back up...so im thinking when all that coolent went all over the engine, it got to a spark plug or 2? possibly? im checking them later on tomo. but i also cracked my radiator..so that is now also on my list to fix tomarrow..but i still dont know what cause is for my coolent not running though my engine is...the water pump seems to be clicking on and is not squeeling at all. but i already have a new one, so im gona put it in and see if that does anything. along with the new radiator. im a complete newb to engines and jeeps, so this is all an adventure...a very aggrevating adventure..but thats why i got it, to learn. i just need a good mechanic friend to teach me. well ill keep ya'll updated.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:02 PM

changed out the water pump, therm. and radiator...seemed to fix the coolant problem..but still was running rough...so i pulled the spark plugs and wires...these spark plugs were the worst i have ever seen! if they werent original (from 1999) they were pretty dam close! but i messed up the fireing order now...FML
Old 06-02-2010, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Originally Posted by kenny.scherer
changed out the water pump, therm. and radiator...seemed to fix the coolant problem..but still was running rough...so i pulled the spark plugs and wires...these spark plugs were the worst i have ever seen! if they werent original (from 1999) they were pretty dam close! but i messed up the fireing order now...FML
Glad to hear you fixed the cooling problem.

here's a pic for reference: